Thread: weird ipconfig results

Blast From the Past

weird ipconfig results

i was chatting on gaim for awhile then my internet went down, comcast's side.... but i ran ipconfig and got a weird feed back i have never seen before

also my internet is wicked slow, i mean dialup is now compareable

the first section is ok, but the 2 sections about the tunneling? no idea

and the fe80::240:caff etc etc, never seen that before either

can someone make heads or tails of this?

thanks in advan
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AOs Resident Troll
    kinda looks like a mac address???

Did you reboot and try again....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You have an IPv6 to IPv4 translator on there?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO French Antique News Whore
    It's IPv6! Is Comsast migrate to IP6 already?

Here a is some quick info about IPv6

IPv6 was originally designed because the number of available unregistered IPv4 addresses was running low. Because IPv6 uses a 128-bit addressing scheme, it has more than 79 octillion (that’s 79,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to you and me) times as many available addresses as IPv4. Also, instead of using binary digits or decimal digits, IPv6 uses eight sets of four hexadecimal digits, like so:

3FFE:0B00:0800:0002:0000:0000:0000:000C

In addition, you can abbreviate these very long addresses by dropping leading zeros (like the zero before the B in “0B00”). You can also drop any single grouping of zero octets (as in the number above) between numbers as long as you replace them with a double colon (: and they are complete octets (you can’t drop the three zeros in the second octet to make it just “B” instead of “0B00,” for example). If you apply this rule (known as the zero compression rule) to the above address, it would make the example address look like so:

3FFE:0B00:0800:0002::000C

Warning You can’t use the zero compression rule to drop more than one grouping of zero octets. For example, you can’t make 3FFE:0000:0000:0002:0000:0000: 0000:000C into 3FFE::0002::000C. This is also part of the zero compression rule: There can be only one set of double colons!

As with IPv4, there are several addresses that are reserved for special uses. The IPv6 address ::/0 is the default address for a host (like 0.0.0.0 in IPv4). The address ::1/128 is reserved for the local loopback (like 127.0.0.1 in IPv4). IPv6 also includes provisions for the old IPv4 hosts so they can be migrated to the new addressing scheme. This is accomplished by using the address ::xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the last four sets of digits refer to the old IPv4 address.

The way a host is configured is one very unique aspect of the IPv6 addressing scheme. Instead of an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway, each station is required to have three different addresses. First of all, the host has an address from each upstream supplier, a local address, and a link-local address. The local address is a number like ::1/128 that defines the local host. The link-local address is the address for the local subnet.

Finally, IPv6 has some other unique addressing concepts, like autoconfiguration (similar to DHCP, but extended further) and neighbor discovery, whereby the IPv6 host discovers its network surroundings.

Note For more information on IPv6, check out RFC 2373 at www.faqs.org/rfcs.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Blast From the Past
    i did install the IPv6 protocol on this comp, but it isnt connected directly to the internet, comp>>hub>>router>>internet, well as long as its a good thing im happy with it
    and now my interest has been sparked with IPv6 so im gonna have to read up on it

thanks guys for the fast response
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Exclamation

As mentioned you are running IPv6 over UDP. I know it looks strange but you'll get used to it.

IPv6 was first introduced in WinXP SP1 with the 817778 "Advanced Networking Pack" update, reference info here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...n-us;817778#10

The "fe80:" portion you noticed signifies a local link, whereas if you were to see "3FFE " "2001" or "2002" it would mean you have a actual external IPv6 address (routable).

At this point in time no ISP (I know of) uses IPv6 for public use and it will only be used in your local network if you have IPv6 routers, IPv6 managed switches or use translating software to communicate with an external IPv6 address. (Translating software encapsulates the IPv6 with IPv4 packets for travelling across the internet)

As mentioned, there are IPv6 translation services for those who wish to run IPv6 on a IPv4 internet.

To install IPv6, at a command line (shell), type:
    "c:\ netsh interface ipv6 install"
    THEN
    "c:\ netsh interface ipv6 set privacy disabled persistent"

To uninstall IPv6, at a command line (shell), type:
    "c:\ netsh interface ipv6 uninstall"
    then reboot to finish the uninstall.

Unless specifically supported, IPv4 hardware and software firewalls do not stop IPv6 traffic, to include breaches. To find out why, read this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306203
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"