Thread: A question of protocol and old posts

King Tutorial-ankhamun

A question of protocol and old posts

Hi all,
    The first tutorial I ever put up was on cracking the SAM if it was syskeyed ( http://www.antionline.com/showthread...light=sam+file ). I’ve since found a much better way to do it using Open Source software and freeware. Should I update the old thread (I know folks frown on old thread being brought to the top), or put out a new one with expanded instructions and more information? Thanks.

I'd say add it to the old thread, assuming the information is closely related and is relavent, that way all of the information is together for future reference.

Hey Irongeek,

IMHO, it is by far better to post a new thread as it might be confiusing to update an old thread... Another thing, it opens a new and better discussion to follow...
    Looking forward to read your new tutorial...

Do the update and then post the whole tutorial again... that's it...

just my $0.02

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

********** |ceWriterguy
    I'd do the update on the old thread, but hey, that's just me. I'm lazy about searching things out, so if I find your first thread I might miss the update if it's posted in a 2nd one.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I would have to agree with zenger add to the old to keep the info together
    and thats my two cents

Banned
    Create a new thread, and add a new reply to the old one referring people to the new one.

Personally, I think it's OK to revive an old thread IF a person has something NEW and RELEVANT to add to it ( speaking in terms of those who revive old threads just to say " I agree " )...
    or, as Negative said, post a link to the previous thread.

Either way sounds good to me.

Hi,

I’ve since found a much better way to do it using Open Source software and freeware.
    I think you have answered your own question................it is something entirely new, as opposed to additional information? I would suggest that you create a new thread and cross reference the old one, as Negative suggested.

Chances are most people search on most recent thread first? also you avoid the confusion of having two different methods in the same tutorial.

As I said, I look on it as the difference between whole new ideas and additional information. It is a bit more complex with a tutorial however, as that is something that might be updated over time.

The problem with old posts is where someone posts a solution to a "problem" that has obviously been resolved months earlier. However, in this respect, I feel that the original poster has a lot to answer for by not posting a final outcome, thus closing the issue.

just my views

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Originally posted here by Negative
    Create a new thread, and add a new reply to the old one referring people to the new one.
    Ok, done. Thanks.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=267039