Thread: Formatted C: Drive

Formatted C: Drive

I've formated my C: drive and now it's telling me to place the system diskette. i put in Windows 98 and nothing happens, what do i do?

First this is not the right forum to post such a question..
    Second, have you tried to put the CD and reboot??
    If you did and nothing happened then the CD might be corrupted,, change it..

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Scary..

What its asking for is a bootable disk. I hope erasing everything on your drive was the outcome you expected from formating the drive. None the less, in order to install win98 back onto the system you need to boot into the installer. You can do this one of two ways.

A) Boot from CD: If you're going to do this, have the CD in the drive and turn the computer on. If it doesn't read the CD and boot two it there are a few things that could be going on. 1) Your CD-ROM isn't ATAPI compatible and thus cannot be used as a boot device. 2) The CD isn't bootable. If this is the case, you'll have to goto part B below. 3) Your CD-ROM isn't set as a bootup device. To fix this, go into the setup. There should (could) be some on screen instructions when you turn the machine on that will say something like press f10 to enter setup or something. Inside there is dangerous, so don't change anything that you don't know what it is. Look for boot order and boot devices. Save that and it should boot.

B) Boot from disks. Sometimes you will get a set of floppies that you can boot from if your CD-ROM isn't boot-able. Same thing applys with as above about making the floppy bootable in setup. After that, you're on your way. You'll have to install the entire OS from the CD.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What do you mean you put in "Windows 98"? When you put in the floppy disk do you reboot the machine?

And I don't remember Win98 being an "install from boot cd" type. I thought it was one of those old-fashioned have a Win98 Bootdisk with CDRom drivers to install type.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

And I don't remember Win98 being an "install from boot cd" type. I thought it was one of those old-fashioned have a Win98 Bootdisk with CDRom drivers to install type.
    I think that MsM is right there. I don't think that bootable CDs came in until WinME and Win2000. There may have been a few with brand name machines?

I reinstalled Win98SE on a box a couple of days ago, and it would not boot from the CD, yet the drive supported bootable CDs.

Basically you need an installation/recovery diskette that will load the drivers to recognise the CD, then you just run the "setup.exe" from that.

cheers

AOs Resident Troll
    AFAIK..MsM and Nihil are right

the 98 startup disk contains the CDROM dos drivers to allow you to install from cd.

...so know anyone witha 98 startup disk??

...or have access another computer to make one??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

As Nihil said you'll need a boot disk. If you know anyone with a 98 or ME machine, ask them to create a start up disk for you than you can run the CD. If not, Google for a boot disk that will allow you to do that.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well if it's a boot disk then a visit to BootDisk Website would be handy, specifically Windows 98 or Windows 98SE versions
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Weeeeelllll..

how soon we forget..

Win98 was released when many pc's didnt support bootable CD's.. I can confirm that at least the Win98se disks are bootable..very bootable.. and I do remember the 98fe disks did boot.. well a Plus edition Fe disk self booted yesterday.. so either I hallucinate or they do boot
    Now win95.. dont self boot.. they fly well when used a frisbies almost as well as AOL CD's..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr