Thread: part time computer job

part time computer job

I was recently referred by one of my buddies to his boss for a job on a computer repair tech bench. It is for a national chain which realy hate.. but that is besides the point. (best buy).

The job would include simple stuff like setting up a new PC to make sure it works, installing service packs and patches, turning on auto update, tweaking the system for performance, installing software, removing spyware/viruses, resolving system errors, etc. All easy stuff. Basically... any service that you can go into best buy and have done to your PC.

I know I won't have a problem doing anything on their list.
    I do it all for my own systems and all the systems at my full time job.

I sent them my resume and they really wanted me to come in for an interview.

This is only going to be a part time summer job to make some spare $$ to buy my honey a nice engagement ring. I could put it on credit or get a loan... but I'd rather pay for as much of it with cash as I can.

This is more of a questions for those who have worked for or interviewed for a type of position like this. What should I do (if anything) to prepare for the interview? Is there anything specific I should study or be ready to answer?

I know they are going to ask me tech related questions which I beleive I'll have no problem answering. I've been eating/breathing and sleeping technology for the last 5 years full time. I've been playing with computers as a hobby for the past 10 years.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

phish, you will probably know more than the person interviewing you.

The main thing you will need to do is look presentable (business wise) and be confident and relaxed.

Initial impressions will make or break you in an interview. These impressions are usually formed in the first 7 seconds of meeting a person. A person less qualified would be hired over a highly qualified applicant based on the initial impression of the interviewer.

Other than that, common sense should be your guide. Don't appear to be a know~it~all, but one that knows what he is talking about. Ask job related questions, but don't immediately criticize their procedures. Be friendly and open (and of course honest) but don't volunteer too much information. Use proper english and leave the colloquialisms at home. Stress your education, but don't beat the interviewer with it.

Thats just some thoughts off the top of my pointy head, but I hope they help.
    Mox
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Phish: i worked for Best Buy for 3 years and for their Geek Squad for 1. The plus side: You will hone your spyware and virus removal skills more than anything, meet some new ppl and get a pretty good discount throughout the store.

Downside: Best Buy is a very politcally charged atmosphere, work politics that is. It is notorious for if you make X manager happy your life will be easier. I personally was getting fed up with the new management staff we had in our particular store so i left. Now not all stores are like that and everyone has a different atmosphere, you will want to take a look at and read up on www.geeksquad.com That is ultimately what you will be doing and the brand name you will be operating under.

From seeing your posts on this forum you have absolutely nothing to worry about in the interview. Worst case scenario is they might ask you some A+ questions or how would you back up a hard drive, what would you use if someone got spyware/virus. I would show up to the interview in either a polo and slacks or a dress shirt, dont waste time with a tie or suit. If you want to PM me I can give you the range for hourly rate you should be looking for or ask for. In my opinion you are way overqualified and will most likely get sick of the typical atmosphere of running computers through a register all day and turning them on and running through the windows XP basic setup.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Thanks for the positive feedback and suggestions.

Its just been so long since I've been to an interview. I think my last one was 6 years ago...

Maybe I'll just start applying here and there with no intention to take a job... just to keep the interview skills up. When I was in high school I had a class where thats all we did was prepare to work in some company. I actually got credits for working (which I had already been doing for years before taking that class). We had several mock interviews and even had HR personell come in from various companies to do mock interviews with. I'm just out of practice.

I'm not worried about being "overqualified" or getting bored with it. This is only part time so I don't care... It is better than driving around pizzas.... which was my next option.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Sorry to bump such an old post, but seing as I just got a job on the geek squad, I had to reply. I'm a 16 year old high school kid, and they hired me the day I applied. My only credential was A+ certification. I wouldn't worry about not being qualified, 98% of what we do is running canned tools and/or removing spyware.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.