Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Card options w/ shader?

Originally posted here by SDK
    It was talking about the Graphic Card itself. The Mobo cost more the PCIE is not the only reason why a PCIE mobo cost more. There is more new technology in there like SATA 2, better Audio, etc that raise the cost of new Mobo versus old one!
    Yup. That's why there's even more reason to buy a new setup now. 64 bit, pcix, sata 2, SLi, BTX, etc. This is a great time to buy a whole new setup, which is EXACTLY what I plan to do in August after working all summer
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I'm waiting until longhorn comes out to buy a completly new system. Why? because until longhorn comes out, there is no 64 bit OS to take advantage of the 64bit technology, same goes with the PCIE, no games to take advantage of the new technology...

IMHO, half of the computer industry is marketing... They're selling the new technology before it can really be used, much like they did with the 64bit processors and mobos...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Originally posted here by The Duck
    I'm waiting until longhorn comes out to buy a completly new system. Why? because until longhorn comes out, there is no 64 bit OS to take advantage of the 64bit technology, same goes with the PCIE, no games to take advantage of the new technology...

IMHO, half of the computer industry is marketing... They're selling the new technology before it can really be used, much like they did with the 64bit processors and mobos...
    BS! Half Life 2 FULLY takes advantage of PCIe, and XP 64 bit comes out within a few months. And getting the technology now is better if you are spending money to upgrade anyway.
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Half life 2 fully takes advantage of PCIE... Any other game? ...that's what I thought.

And don't forget 64 bit hardware was available years before XP 64 bit comes out... and people were buying them...

You have your opinion, I have mine, no one is really right here...

Though I guess your somewhat right about upgrading...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Half life 2 fully takes advantage of PCIE... Any other game? ...that's what I thought.

And don't forget 64 bit hardware was available years before XP 64 bit comes out... and people were buying them...

You have your opinion, I have mine, no one is really right here...

Though I guess your somewhat right about upgrading...
    On the game situation let me put it this way... What good, popular, innovative game from here on out WON'T use PCIe? Considering half of the new games coming out in the next year or two will be based on Doom 3 or HL2 engines, there's half of the market filled with game you can use. The unreal 3 engine is going to be released for Licenesing at E3 this year. It will DEFINILTY take advantage of PCIe...

AO French Antique News Whore
    AGP 8X bandwidths was not even use at 100% yet. If you buy an AGP Mobo now, you'll be stuck with this video card for the rest of your computer life because ATI and Nvidia don't release a lot more new AGP video card in the next year. The 6*** from Nvidia and X*** from ATI weren't supposed to be release in AGP format but they were release because users asks for it. The current generation of video card barely use the bandwidths provide by AGP but the next generation will probably be able to use the extra bandwidths provide by PCIE and will not be transfers into AGP format.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AFLAAACKKK!!
    The current generation of video card barely use the bandwidths provide by AGP
    Which is exactly why we don't need PCIE yet...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AO French Antique News Whore
    The PCIE technology was developed to change the old PCI technology that run at 33 MHz!! Do you know how much stuff runs on the South Bridge Chipset of your computer at 33 MHz? It has a throughput of 133 MB/s! PCIE throughput is 2.5 GB/s per line and there are 20 lines in new motherboard!

FYI, South Bridge run the connection to the North Bridge, Audio, Modem, Hard Drive, USB 2.0, Network Card (Some Network work on North Bridge now).

Source:
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PCI.html
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PCI_Express.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AFLAAACKKK!!
    If the PCIE slots were designed to replace the PCI slots, how come they havn't yet? The only thing made to use the PCIE (at least I think anyway, I could be wrong) are video cards. Ok, I'm not quite sure where I'm trying to get at... I never said PCIE sucks and is never going to be good and it's worthless, I'm just simply saying that as of now it's not needed, but I do beleive that in the future it will replace AGP for good. Newer isn't always better, look at rambus, they tried taking over DIMMS but it failed, even though rambus was supposed to be better...

And I know what the south bridge is
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

If the PCIE slots were designed to replace the PCI slots, how come they havn't yet? The only thing made to use the PCIE (at least I think anyway, I could be wrong) are video cards. Ok, I'm not quite sure where I'm trying to get at... I never said PCIE sucks and is never going to be good and it's worthless, I'm just simply saying that as of now it's not needed, but I do beleive that in the future it will replace AGP for good. Newer isn't always better, look at rambus, they tried taking over DIMMS but it failed, even though rambus was supposed to be better...

And I know what the south bridge is
    Yeah but Rambus was horribly overpriced and didn't give hardly any of a performance gain. Got like 30% or so. PCIx gets like 500% in some cases. PCIx is set to take over PCI slots, but PCI will be around for a while, just like the ISA to PCI transfer.