Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sygate Personal Firewall?

Besides, WinZIP was needed to open and extract "HiJackThis" file and is needed to open and extract ALOT of FREE programs today.
    BOLLOCKS!

Go here:

http://www.freewarefiles.com

Select "utilities" then "compression"

As I said, just open google and type in "freeware"..............you will be amazed

A word of warning.............be wary of sites that don't display adverts............the adverts tell you how they are getting financed..............no adverts =

After you have finished clear your cookies, browser history & cache. Then boot into safe mode and run SpyBot S&D and AdAware SE

Have fun

Question CUT THE CRACK!

Just spent about 20 minutes writing out a long post that when I clicked "Submit Reply" on, told me that I had included too many images in my last post. Yet it only had 2 smilies. Clicked "Back" button on my browser an took me to empty "Reply To Topic" page .
    - You can do what I do when I met this situation (which is unavoidable sometime), you can write your post first in a notepad or wordprocessing (especially when it will be a long one and full of important information) like what happened to you when posting. That way you may avoid losing time and the idea (atleast the construction of the message). If needed you might also save the message temporarily until such time that you had finalized it and had posted it.

Now, for the BIG thing that TS had mentioned, I forgot to mention it earlier...
    those who are telling me not to download cracks
    -CRACKS??? They will really ruin your day one way or the other. I should suggest that you avoid these kind of activity (using crack or cracked software), it is ALARMING.

Cheers!

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Sorry to pop in at the end of this post, but some mentions were considered when setting up your router correctly you would not need a firewall.

My question is this. Is there a link that I can go to were I can see how to setup my router (linksys) for my home network? I really haven't configured it from just setting up the wireless, using wep, no SSID, mac filtering. I was thinking about this the other day but did not have an idea of where to start.

Thanks

Re: CUT THE CRACK!

Originally posted here by scratchONtheBOX
    - You can do what I do when I met this situation (which is unavoidable sometime), you can write your post first in a notepad or wordprocessing (especially when it will be a long one and full of important information) like what happened to you when posting. That way you may avoid losing time and the idea (atleast the construction of the message). If needed you might also save the message temporarily until such time that you had finalized it and had posted it.

Now, for the BIG thing that TS had mentioned, I forgot to mention it earlier...
    -CRACKS??? They will really ruin your day one way or the other. I should suggest that you avoid these kind of activity (using crack or cracked software), it is ALARMING.

Cheers!

Yo!
    Will copy this message to notepad before I hit "Submit" just incase it happens again.

Anyways back to my somewhat long winded post. I work repairing/building computers in my stepdad's own computer shop. He doesn't do big business, but enough for us to run in to trojan infections quite oftenly. Including myself personally. To those who are saying I should not download cracks. I fully agree with you!! Infact I will never download a crack or cracked program again after this because of recent bad experiences with them. Probably not even a month ago, I must have downloaded some program off of Kazaa that must have been infected with some undetectable trojan or undetectable virus. Turned on my PC one day, logged in, and everything just stopped loading (including explorer.exe). Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and there was nothing in the task manager. Tried restarting several times to find the same thing happening. Ran a scan in DOS with an updated McAfee virusscan, and it did not find anything.

Of course, this also could have been some piece of spyware, because I remember using "Free Spyware Scanner GOLD" to scan my PC and found several pieces of spyware/adware/hijackers on my PC and deleted them. After this, it seemed to happen. So maybe it was a piece of spyware that if modified, would just screw everything up at startup. Also could have been an undetectable trojan horse, which is what my stepdad told me, since he said that he deals with them every now and then. I have had many come in to his shop and even some of my own friends, who have told me that their PC was acting weird because it would all of the sudden shut down on them, and even some have said that they were surfing the internet and had their keyboard or mouse just stop working for them. Then all of the sudden one day they turn on their PC all of the sudden it is just screwed up. Well, run the scans in DOS and what do you find, TROJANS and BACKDOORS. Backdoor.SubSeven, Trojan.BackOrifice, and even a couple of newer ones that I am seeing today. The thing is with alot of these trojans/malwares, is that if you run a scan of your PC in normal mode, it will find them, but it will not let you delete them. Will give you the error "File is being used by another application or disk is write-protected". So you actually have to run scans in DOS (which takes a long time if you have a large drive) to delete these files.

If they screw over your Windows, what has to be done? A format of your drive C: (or whatever your local drive is named) and a re-install of Windows. Kinda sucks if you have alot of somewhat important files on that C: drive .

So what I might be a little paranoid. I do not want this happening again! Is that wrong? Maybe I shouldn't have downloaded a crack. Now I know. Will not do it again when I know there are other programs available that are completely freeware. But the problem is with completely freeware, is the "Terms Of Use" agreements they make you take. Alot of people don't read these (admit to it myself!) and the companies who wrote the program know this. So what can you end up with? SPYWARE! Believe it or not, in that fine print, you are agreeing to installing spyware, adware or a browser hijacker. But I guess that is safer than downloading a crack and getting infected with a trojan. But now I know.

To be honest, I didn't even know what a DDOS attack, infact, I actually asked the person who told me he had tried it and that's who told me that it was not a DDOS but a DOS because it was only his PC sending it (I guess he didn't even know himself). But he also said that the tool that he was writing would affect me. But then, I notified an administrator on the forums, and the user ended up getting banned for this. It turns out he was also doing this to alot of other top members on the forums. Indeed a TROLL. I also asked for the administrator to delete my account on the forums, as I no longer wanted anything like this happening. It was one of those older forums where your IP is publicly displayed . So I don't think this will be happening any more, but I now have a more important problem:

Scanned my PC last night with BitDefender Online virus scanner, and it found .dll files in my "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\" folder that were infected with something it called "Trojan.Downloader.BBQ". Being as this is the "Firewall" forum, and this thread has already been answered, I will post more about this in the "Antivirus" or "Virus" section now.

Peace.

This is soo off topic but...

Personally, I like ZoneAlarm. Few years ago, I tried a whole bunch of free firewalls. My favorites were Kerio and ZoneAlarm. Try them one at a time... maybe you might like one. Sygate has too many features disabled :-(
    I use a software firewall to catch the stuff my D-Link doesnt catch... practically zilch.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!