Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sygate Personal Firewall?

Question Sygate Personal Firewall?

hi all!
    I have recently downloaded and installed Sygate Personal Firewall version 5.6 build 2808 from sygate.com .

Some joker has told me that he has attempted to use a DDoS tool on my IP (for NO reason at all) but it didn't seem to work. Now, I connect through a router so thats probably why his attack was unsuccessful. Technically, what he is using is NOT a DDoS attack tool, being as the attacks are coming from a single PC/IP (more like a DoS). So his tools are probably harmless, although, I have been hacked with trojans and such before, and do not like to take any more chances.

So like I said I have installed Sygate Personal Firewall that I found free at sygate.com . I am just wondering how well this this firewall will protect me from attacks (such as DDoS) and trojan intrusions? To sum it up, do you think this is a good firewall in means of IDS/attack protection? I am no pro at network security (focus more on C++ programming and PC repair/building) so I figured I'd ask this here where some people with more experience might be able to help me.

I have been around here before and have heard good things about Sygate. What do YOU think about this firewall?

Thanks in advance!!!

Peace.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I use it and like it very much. I have been recomending it for a while now. As for ddos and dos protection, I think it does that as well, but your router/firewall should be protecting you from that...

Sygate won't prevent trojans, but it will notify you when it's trying to connect somewhere or when someone is trying to connect to it.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Some joker has told me that he has attempted to use a DDoS tool on my IP (for NO reason at all) but it didn't seem to work. Now, I connect through a router so thats probably why his attack was unsuccessful. Technically, what he is using is NOT a DDoS attack tool, being as the attacks are coming from a single PC/IP (more like a DoS).
    If you connect through a router then there is really no need for a software firewall. That is, if the router is configured correctly you will not need a firewall. The router acts as a firewall. Based on the set of rules you apply to the router for example

(Firewall Rules can be used to allow or deny traffic from passing through the router). Also, 90% of routers on the market have DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) built into it which is used to allow a single computer on the LAN to be exposed to the Internet. Filters another useful tool with this you can use
    IP Filters, URL Blocking, MAC Filters and domain Blocking etc...What type of router do you have? Maybe we can help you configure the router Let us know.

But to answer your question, if you must have a firewall (software based) I would personally choose sygate has a lot of useful features. Hope this helps.

Good Day,

I have been around here before and have heard good things about Sygate. What do YOU think about this firewall?
    Well for a while now I’ve been keeping track of which Firewalls are recommended by our members and Sygate rules the roost in the Windows compatibles Firewalls and you can see the most recent information here: Firewall Recommendations - Number Five!

So directly from the of AO Members:

Software Firewall Recommendations - Windows Compatibles:

- Sygate – 81 times. *Doesn’t even have to look back to see who’s chasing them.
    - Zone Alarm – 60 times. *Folks still switching to Sygate, Outpost, and Kerio.
    - Outpost – 48 times. *Really favored 2002-2003 and moving up on ZA.
    - Kerio - 44 times. *More popular 2003-2005 and continuing to increase.
    - Tiny – 27 times. *Really popular 2002.
    - Norton – 13 times
    - Checkpoint – 12 times
    - BlackIce - 9 times
    - McAfee - 6 times
    - VisNetic – 4 times
    - ICF (XP) – 3 times
    - Bordermanager – 2 times
    - Look’n’Stop – 2 times
    - Symantic – 2 times
    - Jetico – 1 time
    - BitGuard – 1 time
    - Gnatbox – 1 time
    - Kaspersky – 1 time
    - OmniQuad –1 time
    So, Sygate?? You bet! However, remember that regardless of which one is recommended most, all firewalls are almost worthless if they are not properly configured, deployed, and updated. We have tutorials on the subject in the archives and of course folks will help you configure it if you need help or have questions.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    If you connect through a router then there is really no need for a software firewall. That is, if the router is configured correctly you will not need a firewall. The router acts as a firewall. Based on the set of rules you apply to the router for example
    What in the hell was I thinking... I must have been have asleep my last post!!

Computernerd is right, you don't need that software firewall if you have a router that is configured correctly...

Damn I got wake up ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AOs Resident Troll
    [QUOTE]Computernerd is right, you don't need that software firewall if you have a router that is configured correctly...[QUOTE]

Well most low end routers do not detect what is going out of your network...just coming in...

I like Sygate...as it asks for my permission when an app wants to communicate with the internet...your router wont do that...that makes sygate great for detecting trojans and other malware

I also use a router....ms antispyware (with I really like)..and either the XP firewall or sygate...all depends on the OS

I think you can never be too safe....and if one fails or has a vulnerability...hopefully the other one will stop stuff until you can patch

My .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Sygate is good gear old chap!

The comment about proper configuration is very true, and some of the firewalls I have tested are very good in this area, others are not.

From your post you are obviously computer literate, most of the people I deal with are not, so I recommend ZoneAlarm because it works pretty well "out of the box" so is ideal for people who have no idea whatsoever ( most of the ones I help).........this possibly explains the high rating noted above?

In your case, Sygate is the one to go for..............

The comment about the router I have noted..............it is technically correct however I am looking at a "belt and braces" situation (Zencoder et al........."braces" are what we limeys call "suspenders" in your lingo...........to us limeys, "suspenders" come with black fish-net stockings and thigh boots.........nah!..........we don't want to go there do we? ) both keep your pants up, and neither get in each others way............

I would suggest setting your software firewall and doing most of your fine tuning at the router...........

Cheers

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Bah! Braces are what my kids' dentist keeps recommending so he can make his boat payments! How in the world to do you get to 'fishnet stockings and thigh-high boots' from 'suspenders'? As I've said, if you want proper English, don't ask an Englishman.

ryan, all of this info is pretty much dead on. There are other products you can try...I'm using CA EZ Armor at the moment, it came as a free offer from them for using the XP SP2 12 month antivirus trial. Anyway, I'd suggest it as well, if you are looking for diversity of options. It's somewhere between Zone Alarm and Sygate for ease of use and flexibility.

There is always good 'ole SP2 firewall as well...but I for one don't care too much to put all my egg's in one basket. Microsoft has made great strides towards embracing security, but I still feel it's not enough.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Thanks alot for all of the input!

Good to hear Sygate is highly recommended. As for my router. Haven't configured anything on it. This is the router that my ISP gave me to connect to them, and from what I've learned, my ISP's servers are also using good security features. Before when using this ISP, I tried using Norton Personal Firewall and it blocked my internet connection (even if I permitted it, it would block it again after a couple of days). And once I remember I installed ZoneAlarm Pro, which TOTALLY blocked my internet connection, and continued to block it even after I uninstalled it (had to phone up my ISP, and they told me how to resolve the problem). But they have recently upgraded their service to broadband DSL and also updated their routers to a newer model. Sygate does not seem to be giving me ANY problems with my internet connection.

As for my router protecting me well I wouldn't rely 100% on this. Like morganlefay said, routers will only block incoming connections. Now there are newer threats which I have cleaned before that actually use reverse connections. Meaning, instead of the hacker using the virus/malware/trojan to connect to you, the malware will actually use your internet connection to connect to a remote PC, bypassing software and even router firewalls . That's why its good to keep your firewall and antivirus programs up to date, and to NEVER rely on only one antivirus program (just something I've learned from experience).

BTW, I this place. Is a good place to be to keep updated on newest security threats. Will definately frequent these boards more often!

EDIT: Someone asked me what router I am using. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please help me configure it. I am using a: SpeedStream 5200 . Thanks in advance!!

Peace.

Greeting's

Well most of the members of antionline like Sygate as a personal firewall. I just want you to take a look at http://secunia.com/product/254/ which says that "3 out of 4 vulnerability arE UNPATCHED". besids that remember that a firewall is as good as you configure it and always remember to take a look at your firewall logs.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.