Thread: encryption?????

encryption?????

Is anyone know what is that PGP and DriveCrypt ? n how they work to encrypt file?
    Is PGP used for email?

What's EFS? How to do an encryption with EFS technic?
    What's file shredder?

Thanx...
    ll_myr...

instead of asking whats this and whats that, go to google and type in each term and click on the thousands upon thousands of links you will have to chose from.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

ll_myr,

Please do yourself a favour and fill out your profile a bit more..............like what country are you from? I know that English is not your first language?

I realise that you are doing some sort of course, and we will help you..............BUT ..........only if you help yourself.

PGP = "Pretty Good Privacy" a medium quality encryption system which can be used for all sorts of things including e-mail.

"DriveCrypt" is a tool more aimed at your desk top computer, in that it encrypts locally stored data.

By the way, what course are you studying?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    EFS, last I knew, was the acronym for Microsoft Windows (2000, XP, 2003) Encrypted File System. A protocol/application by which you can encrypt files and folders on your NTFS partition using only the user credentials. Works pretty slick, seems to be an alright solution, if you don't mind anyone with Admin priviledge to the system being able to snoop your encrypted files. How it works...you can start finding out from this page: http://tinyurl.com/6n5js
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

My course??? IS.
    Why?

Why?
    Because it helps us give you a suitable answer, and refer you to suitable papers.

For example, if you were studying Finance and Business Administration, you would need to know about computers and security, but in a different way to someone studying Information Technology. That is the end user viewpoint rather than the technical one.

I would not refer a user to papers on the SANS or CERT sites, they simply would not understand them.