Um....I might be really stupid to ask this..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Um....I might be really stupid to ask this..

Um....I might be really stupid to ask this..

I know I might be too stupid to ask this but I come out of pure desperation in hopes that one of you fine people will help me out in this crisis. My friend's computer got hacked and she's really worried. Now I want to ask, is there any way to stop this hacker from hacking into her computer? She told me she clicked on a little icon and it added spyware to it. She deleted it but...I think she said that on her comp appeared...something about some information might have been leaked..and now I'm asking for help on this...Sorry if this is not the place to ask this but I need help..please...how can this hacker stop hacking onto her computer?
    Need...help...

YES...

.I think she said that on her comp appeared...something about some information might have been leaked.
    You mean to say a popup advertisement that looked like a system warning.. and clicking on this took her to a page promoting a Anti-Spyware program.. or should I say clicking on the popup INSTALLED the "Anti-Spyware" program.. that marvel oh marvel has no Uninstaller some thing like that?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

StOrM™
    Greeting's

you can start by uploading A hijackthis log file. To download Hijackthis go to http://80.237.140.193/downloads/hijackthis_199.zip.

You should also provide us with information on what is the OS, any antivirus that the user uses, any firewall that the user uses and any malware (spyware and or adware) removal tool's installed on the system. Then we can help you better.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

before we even get into the HJT logs why dont we start with the basics. man you people always going for the solution that can most easily hose the box...

First off download adaware and/or spybot search and destroy both can be found at www.download.com is you do a search for their names. So install one or both of those, update them and then reboot you the computer into safe mode and scan them. Ok now make sure your antivirus program is up to date and run that in safemode. You may also want to download McAfees Stinger program. easily found by googling "stinger" its the 2nd one labled McAfee and it will be indented. run that in safe mode. Now make sure the computer is fully patched (you know that Windows UPdate" icon. alright delete everything that the programs listed above find, reboot your computer and smile becasue its gonna be pretty damn clean at this point. if you STILL have trouble then download HJT and run it. BE VERY CAREFUL if you do not know what you are doing IT CAN HOSE YOUR COMPUTER!!!!

oh...and have a good day.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Um....I might be really stupid to ask this..

Why even attempt to give solutions to an unknown and undefined, real or imaginary problem?
    Originally posted here by LeonheartXVIII
    My friend's computer got hacked and she's really worried.
    How does she know she was hacked?What knowledge does she have that leads her to this conclusion?
    Now I want to ask, is there any way to stop this hacker from hacking into her computer.
    Once again, how do you know it is a hacker?

She told me she clicked on a little icon and it added spyware to it. She deleted it but...I think she said that on her comp appeared...something about some information might have been leaked
    Did it say " Hi, you have just leaked info to me, I'm a hacker" I don't think so
    Now I want to ask, is there any way to stop this hacker from hacking into her computer.
    For the third time, how do you know it is a hacker? Proof please, be specific, or give a more realistic assessment of the actual problem if any
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

before we even get into the HJT logs why dont we start with the basics. man you people always going for the solution that can most easily hose the box...
    I agree that it can hose the computer if not used properly.

BUT... it is a very nice freeware program for analyzing the computer to find the components that are causing said problem.

HJT can be run without changing the system to just grab a log.
    ByTeWrangler asked the OP to post the log... not go deleteing everything it reports.

Your solution should work too. All those anti-spyware programs have not let me down yet.
    Even the Microsoft Anti-Spyware beta... I've been surprised at what that can handle. (Even though its not m$'s software... they purchased it.)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Re: Um....I might be really stupid to ask this..

I know I might be too stupid to ask this but I come out of pure desperation in hopes that one of you fine people will help me out in this crisis. My friend's computer got hacked and she's really worried. Now I want to ask, is there any way to stop this hacker from hacking into her computer? She told me she clicked on a little icon and it added spyware to it. She deleted it but...I think she said that on her comp appeared...something about some information might have been leaked..and now I'm asking for help on this...Sorry if this is not the place to ask this but I need help..please...how can this hacker stop hacking onto her computer?
    I think you might want to describe the problem a little more specific.
    What exactly happens that your friend thinks that she's being hacked? what are the symptoms ?
    some more information might be helpful.

I have to agree with jm459, How does she know that hacker is in charge? People who know the symptoms of a disease, they are more likely to know how to treat with it, Am I right?....... And this condition is not really satisfied in leon~'s case...
    So we need more information about what exactly hapened with her...? Otherwise it would be waste of time to guess what happened or what caused that....

Nowadays, people refer to the word Hacker whenever something weird befalls thier boxes? Even if it is like maleware or something...............

I think people who are uncertain of what they have to call something, have only to list the symptoms of the case in question {Without naming it, anyways}...

Whatever the case is, I would recommend you to...

[1] AntiVirus Scan for all disks (If you don't have an AV, go to Houscall )
    [2] Spy-ware and Ad-ware Scan
    [3] After the above steps post the Hijackthis log, so we can help you...

I hope I could be of helpful..

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

have you tried getting a fire wall?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Michael:

Firewalls are far too complex for the average use to be able to manage on an already infected machine. Yes it might stop a trojan from being connected to but it is useless when a "call home" trojan makes an outbound connection through a hardware firewall, (consumer grade), and only serves to scare the user on a software firewall that pops up and says "Explore.exe is trying to connect to the internet... Allow it?". Most of them will confuse this with iexplore.exe and think that they must allow it to be able to surf the internet..... At this point the firewall is a doorstop.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides