Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Forensic Toolkit

Window Forensic Toolkit

Has anyone used this extensively? Opinions - good, bad or indifferent?

I know Hogfly's mentioned it in a few posts but I haven't seen it's virtues discussed.

http://www.foolmoon.net/security/wft/index.html

Thanks
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

I've used it as part of the Helix CD.
    It's really quite useful for live forensics, basically running all the tools you would run by hand, but also does md5 hashes, nicely formats the output in an html report...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I wanted to post a quick note to anyone reading this post to let you know a new version of WFT was posted to my website (http://www.foolmoon.net/security/) as of last night. It has a number of new more powerful features over the previous version.

Monty McDougal (the author of WFT)

Monty (FoolMoon),

I was going to start a new thread pointing members of this site to your updated software as well as the other utilities you have written.. You have disapointed me by SPAMMING this forum.. How many more threads are you going to dredge up here and on other boards to promote your product? IF you software is good your subscription list alone would have popped threads on boards around and about, and it would have been far more effective for your products than this SPAMMING.
    I trust the other boards treat you more kindly.

und3rtak3r
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Glenn (aka und3rtak3r),

Sorry if I have somehow offended you by posting a grand total of 5 messages about WFT to a few of the sites that I get visitors from. Please delete my mail, WFT, and your entire hard drive if you like since it is now obviously tainted with my “SPAM”. I posted to let a few people know (who might actually be interested) that I released an update to a program I have literally spent hundreds of hours developing (and then gave away for free). Obviously this effort has been wasted on you. And yes, I hope I am treated better on the other boards. It is crap like this that makes good people stop making useful tools.

Have a nice day. You have spoilt mine.

Monty

Banned
    You want to advertise your program, buy adspace. Leave these forums alone, they're meant to answer questions, not for random advertisements by users trying to gain attention.

Congratulations on spending hours coding, but don't push your choices onto us. You want to become popular, go to download.com and spam there.

Spam is spam, and this guy's reasoning is flawed. =\

I will Question the Privacy of Foolmoon.com

As a subscriber to your site.. I do wonder What gives you the right to use subscribers names in a your reply.

I felt my comments were being fair and reasonable.. and certainly not to my normal dogmatic standard.

You have taken offence, well I am sorry that it has ruined your day.. now to ruin your day..

Warning to anyone Downloading from www.foolmoon.com you are asked to give a name and an email address`.. dont give anything that is close to legitimate.. as if you say some thiong that pisses the author off.. YOUR Posted NAME WILL BE USED In ANY COUNTER ABUSE..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

wow, I wonder how many breaches is privacy it is to publish confidential information on public forum. Probably grounds for some type of law suit if you really wanted to push it.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Glenn,

For the record -- I never ask for anyone's name on my website, not that I needed it to find yours. This is not rocket science. You have your name on your homepage -- which is linked from your profile. Don’t try and hide behind a lame pseudonym like “Und3ertak3r”, flame me, and not expect me to respond. I didn’t realize you were trying to hide your own name when it is clearly posted in a public forum. I am man enough to have my name beside my post, but I apologize if you are not.

Also for the record, the email address (no name) you provided on my website was optional. I could have very easily posted your email address here – it was not real hard to link it to your handle when it showed up in my mailing software -- they are surprisingly similar. I took the courtesy of removing it from future WFT mailings. I am sure you will understand when I say this was done because the temptation to provide a “special version” of WFT just for you was far too great.

And for the record, there are no privacy issues with anything at foolmoon.net (I cannot speak for foolmoon.com as it does not belong to me).

Have a nice day. At least this posting was humorous enough to improve my mood.

Monty

PS – XTC46 surely you jest… In fact I could now sue Glenn for liable and slander (at least here in the states). I have done nothing to defame his good name. He however has not extended me the same courtesy, which has necessitated yet another response in this matter. Hopefully this will be the last.