IM Chatting = IP address?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IM Chatting = IP address?

IM Chatting = IP address?

If your chatting with a friend on one of the many chat programs like MSN, Yahoo, AIM, etc... Is there a way to get your friends IP address through a DOS command in WIndows XP, or perhaps some other way? I am not asking this to hack into their computer or anything of that matter just need the information, thanks.

Only if you create a direct connection (sending files, voice chat, send picture, etc.)

You have to find out for each service though, they may operate differently.
    AFAIK AIM and MSN communicate through their servers until you direct connect.

You should see the IP show up in netstat.
    Or a protocol sniffer... whichever you prefer.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    No offense intended kyrios but...
    I am not asking this to hack into their computer or anything of that matter just need the information, thanks.
    why would you need to have it then? Would I need your IP to talk to you in chat?

why would you need to have it then?
    To protect his own IP with someone they may not trust?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Oh I see, so I guess just chatting with the person won't give you their IP address. So if they send me a file or the other way around then doing something like, netstat -a, would that display their IP address. Or perhaps using a program like Ethereal?

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Hi phishphreek80,

but...he just said they were friends...why wouldn't he trust him?...and what use could he have for his IP?

I really don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Eg

edit: would sending things also display the home IP address of a dynamic IP

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    To protect his own IP with someone they may not trust?
    Yeah that is exactly why phisphreek80. I have a friend well sorta friend at college and I know for a fact he hacks, or can because he has a whole lot of knowledge in the internet "security" field. And we need to chat on one of these services to exchange homework and the like. So I need to know if there is a way. Thanks.

********** |ceWriterguy
    In regards to AIM at the least (the one I know the most about unfortunately) -

Your IP address is known only to the AIM servers, as is the IP of whomever you're IMing with. AIM does not divulge said IP to either end user, although it (along with your entire conversation) is logged deep within the bowels of their servers for their private usage (snitching to the authorities, picking out which ad to send you next, etc.) This is done by point relay - you're not really messaging the end user... you're messaging AOL (who makes and owns AIM for those of you who've lived under rocks for the past 15 years or so), who in turn relays that message the end user on your behalf.

It's not a bad setup if you want to protect your users from everyone else while stealing whatever they choose to convey for yourself.

[edit] Just realized I didn't fully answer your question, so here's the rest:

All that being said, a DOS command like say...netstat... will only show you the IP address of whatever AIM server you're in contact with, NOT the end user. I've never used Ethereal to sniff AIM packets, so I can't confirm or deny this, but I'm pretty sure the same is true there as well. [/edit]

Hope that helped.

[moredit]Ok, so now a caution to add to the unwary user - common sense dictates that if he puts a link into whatever message he sends you he *could* be snagging your IP off that link. Be careful of every file he sends as well, for they could contain keyloggers, or other various and sundry malware. If you know this person IRL (I'm pretty sure you do from reading your posts) be sure to protect your computer physically as well. DO NOT let him have physical access to your computer! (If I can touch a box, I can pwn it forever in under a minute.)[/moredit] - and I caught the next response from Phish as I posted this - the above caution should serve warning on what he said too....
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

|3lack|ce: that is true for only chatting, as soon as you establish a direct connection (picture, file, webcam, etc.) you are no longer going through the AIM servers.

Can you imagine AOL trying to proxy everyone's files around for free?
    Text is one thing... multimegabye files/streams are another

OH DEAR!

And we need to chat on one of these services to exchange homework and the like.
    If it is homework, why don't you do your own? I used to when I was at school

If it is pr0n...............go find your own.

You only "share" with people you TRUST and trust implicitly. You obviously don't trust this guy, so don't share.

If you are exchanging things, you are wide open as suggested..........sure your IP addy may change with each logon, but you will already have been backdoored..............if it hasn't happened by now?

Like I said..........trust