Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Machines and Sonicwall TZ 170 Problems

Apple website access problems

Using a Sonicwall TZ 170 with default settings for PPPoe. Unable to SMTP with rule setup to open ports for SMTP and POP. About 10% of sites visited will timeout. Have a PC that connects without any problems.

what is mail server settings to do with access to a Website..?

if that Question seems odd.. it is because I CANT READ YA BLOODY MIND.. can you please explain your self a bit better..

please..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

boyer~

About 10% of sites visited will timeout. Have a PC that connects without any problems.
    That implies that 90% of the time you get a normal connection. I have three immediate thoughts:

1. What are the timeout settings on both machines?
    2. Is the browser software up to date on the Apple?
    3. Is the PC a faster machine?

I have no scientific basis for this, just a hunch, but I would not be surprised if Sun and Apple users had a lower success rate than PC users if only because most sites are designed to be accessed with a PC.

As an experiment, try doubling the timeout on the Apple and see if it makes a difference, if it does not, I would say that the site is just not Apple friendly? I have seen posts from the webmaster's viewpoint asking how to make their site work better for Apple users, so there IS some sort of issue here.

Are you saying you also cant connect to the POP and SMTP servers with the Mac? are you able to ping them? are you trying to connect with the IP or are you using a name like smtp.isp.com. If you are using the name, are you sure it is resolving to the correct IP? try flushing the local dns cache on the mac, maybe it got hosed somewhere along the line and its trying to connect you to the wrong place?

about the webpages, I am going to have to agree with nihil, Alot of webpages are mad PC friendly but not Mac friends, I remember when Microsoft made it so macs could not access MSN, that was short lived, but I wouldnt doubt other webpages are doing this also (probably unintentionaly) Once again try clearing the local DNS cache, Im not sure how to do this on a mac, sorry.

Also, have you tryed completly disabling your firewall? try that, and if the problem is resolved then we know its a config problem there.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

so we are talking about 2 problems here are we.. and the problem is with a Mac.. Oh..

time for bed for this black duck.. refer the ***** to the FAQ about asking sensiable questions..

I think I will be in a dirty mood for the weekend.. **** questions like this are not a good sign.. me thinks this PC will be 100% on BOINC for the weekend.. I have some Tim the Toolman tasks ..

You guys can deal with the PEBKAC Issues.. see ya all on Mon or Tues..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Sorry about that. Here is some clearification.
    I have a cross platform network. All my PC's work perfectly. Once I added a sonicwall tz 170 my Apple computers lost the SMTP service and some websites wont load. If I open full internet allowed going inbound and outbound in the firewall nothing happens. If I remove the firewall everything works fine.

Thank You

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Boyer, I've moved your thread to a more appropriate forum. Given that it's an issue with MacOS and the firewall, it seems more of a MacOS issue than the firewall itself. That said, which version of MacOS is it? (pre-OS X or OX panther? jaguar?) Have you done a packet sniff to see what's happening at the network level that might be causing a problem for the Macs?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

We have upgraded to Panther. Not sure how to do a packet sniff.
    Thank You for the help.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    To do a packet sniff, you should run tcpdump (help can be found here).

Random Thought: Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates to the Sonicwall product?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

With the firewall on are you able to ping the SMTP and POP servers by name? by IP address? can you do a traceroute to them and see where they are being dropped? would it be possible to stick your mac out on the net without the protection of the firewall (many firewalls have a function that allows this). I agree to check for firmware upgrades also. can you ping the webpages you are trying to get to by name? by IP?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com