Stop touching me!!! You're laggin' me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop touching me!!! You're laggin' me!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Lightbulb Stop touching me!!! You're laggin' me!

Hrmm. So what happens if the system would short? Surgery? What about "Intrusion Detection"? Never mind high fives having a new meaning, what about plain ol' sex!?!? Would this mean there'd be new "interoperability" issues?

And seriously, what about the security issues? If it's transmitting through you could someone, by just brushing up against you, "sniff" your network? (man, this one brings out all the weird thoughts!)

source

With all the talk lately of WI-FI and Bluetooth, NTT Communications, may have found a new and incredibly eerie way for different electronic devices to communicate. And you are the conduit.

NTT has devised a new personal area networks technology called Red Tacton, which can apparently send date between products like your MP3 player, wireless phone, cordless headset, digital camera, or PC over the surface of your skin. YUsing Red Tacton, your epidermis can send data at a 2Mbps clip. Pretty creepy, no?

Transfer bodies of knowledge—using your body

It makes plenty of sense, though. Just imagine you’ve got a compatible phone in your hand and wireless headset clipped to your ear. Using Red Tacton, that is all you would need to transfer audio back and forth between the two devices. Data could not only transfer through different parts of your body, but also between two different bodies as well. Imagine being able to transfer music files by kissing someone on the cheek or exchanging digital business cards by smacking someone. High fives will never be the same.

NTT celebrates the body electric

Microsoft has also experimented with touch-sensitive data transfer, even being granted a patent last summer for “a method and apparatus for transmitting power and data using the human body.” But NTT’s system is more practical because it does not require for sensors to come in direct contact with your skin. The sensors built into different compatible gadgets work fine within 20cm (about 7.8 inches) of your body. Instead of generating an electric current through you, Red Tacton uses the small electric field that is naturally on the surface of the human body, using a transmitter to modulate that field appropriately. While it doesn’t work quite the same way as your average pacemaker, Red Tacton could potentially pay huge dividends in the future of communications.

A whole new meaning to the term “networking”

What kind of boundless potential is there for an electronic network allowing us to transfer information naturally from within our bodies rather than without? Some people might think of it as a futuristic ESP, but it could quite possibly become the future of peer-to-peer communication. Personally, we would rather stop short of implanting microchips in our bodies, and this technology makes that concession. So next time you shake someone’s hand, watch it. They could be slapping the digital equivalent of a “kick me” sign on your back.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Transfering data through bodies?... Hmmm something quite impressive... Few years ago I read some articles about such posibilities of TOUCH communications, then It was just a myth! Things tend to be more likely to be doce nowadays.... I read also that the human body would someday hold data for sometime... Sounds impossible,, you never know thig might happen.. Just about everything you imagin can be true...

/me how nice it would be to exchange information with you GF/BF???.... lol... kidding.....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

TOUCH ME NOT!

Stop touching me!!! You're laggin' me!
    MsM, Hmmm... what if it hangs? Need to reboot your body? Better be in safemode
    /me how nice it would be to exchange information with you GF/BF???.... lol... kidding.....
    Black Cluster, it is called SENSITIVE INFORMATION.

These ideas, much more we will see in the future. It will pose some question about security and privacy though.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

I can just hear it now "You kids be good or I'll take your mp3 player and phone. You can keep your skin for now but don't push it."

Maybe we could install a port to hook up a 'OhOh-what-did-I-do-now-meter' to our significant other when we're in the dog house?
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

brings new meaning to "sexualy transmitted viruses", no?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    when we're in the dog house?
    Speaking of animals in general...what happens if the cat is sitting in your lap or the dog is licking your face?

Maybe eventually they'll be able to download info directly from your brain. No more need for those lenghty legal trials. "We accessed your the C:\Microsoft Cranial Edition SP2\My Documents\Bad Stuff folder and you're guilty"
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

I was just thinking, and this could put a new spin on the pick pocket techniqe of bumping into a person to grab their wallet. you could bump into a person and steal their address book, if the device only has to be a few cenemeters away than it being in your pocket should be no big deal. Thats sort of scary...
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

As if I don't already get enough advertisments and spam as it is....

What about "Intrusion Detection"?
    Could be a great help for parents with teenage daughters. Like Dot Matrix's alarm in Spaceballs.