Thread: Not enough money...Tsunami

Not enough money...Tsunami

According to the bank that is in charge of the tsunami relief money ( Asian Development Bank ) and Aid Organizers...they need $4.22 billion more. The ADB estimates the reconstruction effort will cost $7.76 billion and only $3.54 billion have been committed...leaving the shortfall.

The Bank insisted that concerns about corruption are being talen seriously and every effort is being made to keep it to a minimum...with their own newly developed accounting system in place.

They say that the shortfall is mostly due to the lack of attention the tsunami has had recently in the news. It is essential that we return to the forefront of the media attention.

Sorry...no links...came from a thing called a newspaper...I'll explain what that is in a tutorial next week entitled : Reading Paper News Products 101

Eg

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_426261.htm

I could have sworn a lot more was donated?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi MsMittens,

Seems the Chinese news has different figures too...the figures above came from our own Canadian newspaper so I have a bias to believe our figures more...but it is interesting that both figures were arrived at, at the same conference. Maybe the Chinese had a bad translator as the conference was held in english.

Eg

It's a fact that most countries that pledge money for relief after natural disasters don't follow through on the original amount they pledged. Can we get these figures EG?

Hi Imitation,

Well...according to the Newspaper article the shortfall has nothing to do with people not paying up...this is in excess to the money pledged. It basically refers to the Conference so it doesn't mention whether anyone has renegged on a pledge.

Eg

AOs Resident Troll
    I recently saw an item on the CBC National news (with in the last couple of weeks)

...saying the relief was all concentrated in one area and not being dispersed to the remote areas that actually need it...this was in Indonessia.

This actually showed organizations arguing over who was going to help rebuild a hospital...in Banda Aceh (sp?) (these were well known large orgs too)...and due to the arguing...nothing was being done!

And then there are the organizations...that noone has heard of before

I think the massive effort is poorly organized.

And with that kinda $$$$

major corruption

It is unfortunate....and sad.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer