Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: why are -you- into the security field?

I'm just a curious amateur.
    10 PRINT\"Home\"
    20 PRINT \"Sweet\"
    30 GOTO 10

I just don't wanna get stuck doing hard labor for the rest of my life. I'd rather be in an air conditioned building somewhere and have a place to sit.

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I used to be a biochemist but mice stink, rats are too nice to disect and the pay sucked.

Computers don't piss on your coat or **** in your pockets. And the pay is better.

Well,

Why do *any* of us get into the info-sec field??? The majority of us start off having a "nack" for computers in general... Then you either go off to college, pick up an IT job or begin working w/ the things as a hobby...

Information security just comes as part of the job - I don't know that *too* many of the members here on AO are solely infosec professionals (w/ the exception of Tigershark and a few others)... but what *is* information security, anyway? Removing or protecting against malware on a secretary's box or configuring iptables on a gateway firewall to a major bank's network??? Locking down Susie Homemaker's box or locking down the Dept. of Homeland Defense's network??? (Of course, protecting even the most insignificant box on a network is important, so long as it's "trusted" by the rest of the network)

It's *all* information security... and for me, it's just part of the job... I highly doubt that *any* of us started off *wanting* to go into the security field specifically - it just tends to happen - people who are good at working w/ computers recognize the need for security and thus get placed into information security positions... Some enjoy it more than others, much the way programmers enjoy programming - we can all do it, just some of us enjoy it more than others, get really good at it, and choose to make a living doing so...

Here on AO, I've yet to read security tutorials that are beyond comprehension for the average computer professional, which leads me to believe that no one on this site is truly "divine" in this line of work - just really enjoy it and keep updated on the latest news regarding his/her area...

Anyway, me - I'm in it out of necessity - I'm a college student, doing side-jobs for a living... no one will trust someone to reinstall their system/network if it gets infected within a month... which means no money from new clients... which means no food or *booze* - and I am Wiski C, ya know...

-Wiski C.
    My Corner of the Intarwebz: Jeremy Dean Online

i've always had an interest in the computer realm, and it never really blossomed past that, until about 6 years ago, a buddy of mine wanted to set up a network to allow two computers in his house on the dialup connection they had. 72hours later, the two of us finally went to bed... we had learned so much and finally gotten things to work right, and i instantly knew this is where i wanted to be. I dabbled in the skiddie crap for a while, but destruction never really interested me... but getting places i shouldnt and learning how to keep punks like me out of those places did. i've since spent my free time playing around with different things (os's programs, tools), reading stacks of articles, and now i am majoring in Network Management in college. we'll see at the end of next year if i still have the same love for it all

To get laid......wait no....that's why I went to college.....what the hell am I doing studying computers....?
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.