Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: why are -you- into the security field?

I am here cause I like to read peoples email and running administration on exchange and being domain admin allows me to grab pst files at will...

In my opinion it is one of the few careers that I will have to continue to learn and experiment therefore capturing my short attention span and allowing me to keep learning
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

AO French Antique News Whore
    I got interest in security a while ago when I was lurking on mIRC. At that time, the "nuke" was very common. At that time, a nuke was a malformed TCP/IP packet that would make Windows 95 crash. Since that, I always got interest in security. I'm not a security expert but I understand the basic (And sometime more) of more topics that are related to security.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AFLAAACKKK!!
    For me it all started off when I to was in my destructive phase, defacing websites and doing stupid stuff like bypassing the school web filter and hacking into peoples login names (which made me feel super l33t at the time). But then something flashed in my head, something revolutionary, I thought to myself "What if I get caught..." And ever since I had that single thought I went legite ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

2 reasons.

1. processing firewall/snort/tcpdump outputs are fun, besides, I was the only one who could make sense of them.
    2. ! 0\/\/|\| j00!

Never heard that Murphy's law, but ā€œ when the shite hits the fan ā€ Iā€™m usually on the other side!!!! :
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL. This is too easy.

Chicks dig computers.
    Computers are operated by geeks.
    Chicks + geeks + computers == TheHorse13 gets action.

See how easy it is?
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Exclamation

Why am I in Security? (at least I'm headed into a minor certification)

Because I know of a young lad who stayed up nights, obsessing till dawn for months learning computers by cracking technical university passwords/accounts, causing mayhem and generally getting the feel of the black hat land on a dialup modem to the ARPAnet.
    Adrenaline driven perceived invincibility is a rush, especially when there are no laws.

Facing being completely consumed by this limitless mental playground, he literally ran away from it (and his particular late night odor) only to return 10 years later a much saner man.

Only the obsession doesn't go away, it's only a bit milder now.

Okay...Okay ....either Security or it's jail.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Chicks + geeks + computers == TheHorse13 gets action.
    Right up until Mrs. Hoss finds out.... Then the action changes....

I'm here because I'm competitive and old. Where else can I compete against people of any age in a "battle" and still have a chance of winning.... All while sitting on my crusty old butt....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

1. My first year algebra teacher said I would ammount to nothing.
    2. Consoles sux
    3. My dad said computers are stupid, why would a 6 grader ever want a computer. (see sig.)
    4. Horse let the secret out

The natural progression is to seek secure means to control access once you realize that controls can be overcome.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    It's ok roadclosed, I have had some bad times with school as well. I got expelled from my private elementry school, so they put me in the public school system. There all hell broke loose because teachers hated me, they said some pretty nasty stuff. Besides that everyone in my family thinks i do nothing on a computer but play games...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools