The New Fronts in Security

Thread: The New Fronts in Security

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

The New Fronts in Security

I rarely drop plugs but in this case, I feel very strongly about the content in this article. Please give it a serious look as I promote the contents to many Govt. agencies. It may prepare some of you for what is looming on the horizon.

Yes, I wrote it.

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/se...1321_3491931_1
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I read that a couple of days ago and must say it was a good article that does highlight an on-going issue in IT in general. The idea that every gadget in the world will solve the solution to problems, particularly security, is certainly a false one. Good ol' fashioned smart administration with some common sense can go a long way. And, if security is done well it can be a cheaper form of administration (quality over quantity).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Nice, and congrats on getting published.

Interesting I was thinking of this the other day while I was going to purchase LanGuard to do just a single thing I wanted.... After a few years of struggling with budgets I find myself getting anything I want. The addiction is strong my son, give in to the dark side. I've been here before though, throwing money at things without a proper look at what is necessary for the long term. But running lean on resources and insight has changed my outlook, forever I hope. Just now I find myselft with different software packages doing similar things in a loose knit, thus loosely controlled fashion. Therefore, even with money I have turned the tides and skipped a couple of new boxed software solutions for... open source projects that require time and, get this personnel training that goes along with it. And along with that, expense in developing the human procedure behind the whizbang IDS. Call it fortifying the audit versus detection capability. Procedure over technology, although technology tools are used. The reason.... the cycle will not last forever. And 3 years from now one may find themselves with licensing fees they cannot maintain, and no expertise to continue an accebtable risk environement.

//EDIT A federal regulator recently ask me what I feared most, where my biggest risk was... I said the "desktop." They are behind as usual. They are still checking on firwalls and ids boxes.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Thanks folks. I lived this nightmare and finally found my way out of it in recent months. About two weeks ago I went to IANETSEC (institute for applied network security http://www.ianetsec.com another shameless plug ) and found that most of the other members were in the same position. Only a few of the lucky ones were able to shift out from under IT and become an entity with some bite.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden