Thread: Can't Install 2nd Operating System

Can't Install 2nd Operating System

I have 3 partitions on my hard drive. I have WIN 98, I had SuSE 8.2 (one of the solutions I was given to my problem was to delete it, which I did, to no avail) and 40G in the thrid partition. I want to install another 98 to put XP over so I can use my VISIO or else I would have given up on this looong ago. I have OSL2000, I got rid of grub from the mbr and the OSL2000 won't hid the first 98 so I can install the 2nd. Everytime I hide the first 98, it comes right back. I won't go into everything I have done, it would take forever, but I seem to be going in circles here and this is my last resort. If I fail, I'll just get really pi$$ed off and erase the whole thing and try to start over. Oh and for some reason when I try to go into DOS and put FDISK in the command prompt, I get a blinking cursor in the left hand upper corner and nothing else. Either I have been working on this to long and the obvious is right in front of me, or I'm an idiot. I don't care which I just need to get this resolved. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

AO French Antique News Whore
    You want to inttall another 98 to put XP over? (I don't understand this part)

You should check OSL2000 for help to your problem since you use that boot loader. Most people here will able to help you if you use Windows XP boot loader but not with that OSL2000.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SDK..............I think that it is a WIN XP update, so you need a proper previous version for it to work?

I have no doubts that the OP is following the EULA and has two legitimate versions of WIN 98

My answer is what you would get from a computer shop............reformat and start again............only they would charge you for doing it

In my experience, dual or even multiple booting is OK if you have unrestricted versions of the OSes, as soon as you start trying to use an update over an older version, you will exceed the design parameters? Unless that is the first installation.

I am sure that it is possible, but I do not think that anyone would do it..........it teaches you nothing, and is a waste of time?

My opinion

well ,
    p~ your question sound bit confusing do you want to install window with SuSE or 98 with 98(upgraded by xp ).

Nihil,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, but I did have to reformat and start over. I am also sorry I did not explain myself better. Rather than go into a lengthy paragraph, I tried to sum it up in a few sentences, which I see was not really clear at all. I was hoping I didn't have to go through the whole reformatting thing, but I did. Again, thank you for answering me so quickly.

If I remember correctly, if you were trying to install Windows XP from an upgrade CD, you don't have to install 98 first. You only need to have the 98 CD available when you install XP. It will ask you for a licensed product that allows for an upgrade.

If I remember correctly, if you were trying to install Windows XP from an upgrade CD, you don't have to install 98 first. You only need to have the 98 CD available when you install XP. It will ask you for a licensed product that allows for an upgrade.
    Partly.................if you have the upgrade CD you will require a Microsoft CD of the qualifying product to be upgraded to do a clean install.

If you have an OEM recovery disk you will need to install the old OS first, then XP over the top.

If you have an XP retail CD you can do what you like.