Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Download ANYTHING (Win95)

Can't Download ANYTHING (Win95)

So I've got this old Win95 machine I have up and running just for the sake of getting familiarized with the old school stuff (95 was way before I got into computers).

So anyway, I'm trying to download some stuff, but I can't. No clue why. I'm trying to pull up the about window to see what version of IE I'm using, but that won't pop up either. I can browse websites no problemo, but if I click a download nothing happens. I also can't right-click anything on a web page.

I checked out security settings, and enabled or set to prompt every single setting, while lowering security as low as possible. No luck.

So, what's the deal?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Damm, forget old school stuff. My own personal policy is to never work with Win9x OS! Get Virtual PC 2004 and get use with Windows 2003 or Linux.

For your question, I have no clue!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hi Angelic~, happy Easter!

I take it that you have checked that right click works outside of IE? The latest version of IE that will support Win95 is IE5.5~, version 6.0 will not work with anything before Win98. Take a look at your mouse settings in the control panel.

Over here, it might be something to do with the ISP not fully supporting versions of IE less than 6.0. Can you get an old version of Netscape or whatever and try it with a different browser? I am not sure if Mozilla/Firefox will run under Win95?

A word of caution...........please tell me that you are connecting that Win95 box to the net as a stand alone dial up, and not part of your local network ..............it would be one hell of a security hole otherwise

Please get this and run it, it will tell you a lot about your system, the software versions in particular

http://www.crucial.com/Support/belarc_download.asp

Keep me informed, and I am sure we can get your Win95 lab up and running...........errrrrrrr where did you get the WIN95 from, anyway?.............interested in NT4.0 SP5...........in original shrink wrap plus manual?..........free to a good home..........totally legitimate of course.............I have never stolen from Billy Windows in my life, nor shall I.

Cheers,

Johnno

SDK.............shame!...............Gore, Angelic and myself are interested in the history as well as the future.........Gore is the OS wizard, I am more into the hardware............I picked up two external floppy drives last week.............and several boxes of "ammunition" (8.5" Floppies!)..........I think the original box was the Hewlett Packard Teradactyl ( err... HP 3000 Midi)

Hey, some people restore old cars, or bikes, or boats don't they?

First off, what do you have installed? If you have a pop up blcoker for any reason that could have something to do with it. You have to remember Windows 95 was pretty much a shell on top of DOS like 98 was (People argue this point with me, I usually tell them if it wasn't a shell on top of DOS you could safely remove the DOS directory and have no problems).

So anyway, what do you have installed on the machine? A lot of things can be leading to this.

Originally posted here by SDK
    Damm, forget old school stuff. My own personal policy is to never work with Win9x OS! Get Virtual PC 2004 and get use with Windows 2003 or Linux.

For your question, I have no clue!
    This coming from someone who rips me a new ass every time I make a thread showing New features in Linux and calling me a Windows basher. Nice one. He said he has an OLD machine, the chance of Windows Server 2003 running on that is smaller than your penis. And then you say take of 95 for either that or Linux. If I would have told him to take 95 off for Linux, you, TigerShark, and about 10 others would rip my ass so bad I'd like like the gorey goatse. I quoted you in case you delete your post, then I can save this for the next time you hop on my ass for making a pro Linux post.

The best part of your post though "I have no clue"......

so why did you respond then?

EDIT:

Heh, I thought about this for a sec, a few months ago someone had a problem with servers and Desktops getting worms constantly and they couldn't get them ffixed fast enough before the next worm attacked and got them. I said why not put up a Linux box to keep going while they cleaned the boxes, and I got my ASS chewed for it.

Only problem they had was Worms getting in, I say put up a box that can't get infected by them, and thenthey would be able to cleanup the other boxes before the infected the network again, and I got chewed out and listened to "Grrrrr gore you're ****ing dumb dirrr dirrr Linux isn't the answer to everything dirrr dirrr dirrr Linux sucks dirrr dirrr dirrr"..... LOL and now this, that's just icing on the cake of half wit. Beautiful.

I was wrong for telling them to put up a box that couldn't get worms yet this guy should take an old machine he's looking over Windows 95 on and put either Windows Server that I doubt would run on it or Linux? LOL. Again, when I say it I get my ass ripped, when someone else does it's OK?

With Win95..

First thing is to install IE4.. believe me you Need IE4 for the nice little extras even if you have the OEM Ver C.... nice things like RIGHT CLICK Menus..
    THEN Install IE Ver5.5 as per Nihils recommendation..

YOU NEED TO INSTALL IE 4..FIRST.... if you cant find a copy PM me.. it is hidden on a cd or a hdd here some where..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks, undies...........sorry I forgot to mention you in the enthusiast's list

Gore.................chill out old bean...................have I ever "ripped you ass?" you have an excellent grip on all OSes going way back.............?

I know this is not "security site" stuff, but those morons will kill this site because they can only think of about one vaguely relevant post per month?............Ack Phtt!

I look on this as an IT site that FOCUSES on security, rather than limits itself?

My views

Heh, read my new post. EDS just put a foot in the mouth. Remember that study they did about Linux being less secure? And Not ready? Well, heh, they changed that around fast. And of course that "independent study " that SDK reported on where the thing went suicidal. I was right, MICROSOFT FUNDED IT.

Anyway I'm off to work for now.

Anyway I'm off to work for now.
    Pagan batarde!

You should be solemnising Easter.......................................or whatever?

Indeed, if what I wanted was a good machine I wouldn't be missing with 95 or any of this hardware in the first place. It's only for the sake of nostalgia and learning that which was before my time.

Ran that Belarc advisor program. You guys should get a kick out of this :

Windows 95B (OSR2)
    167mHz Intel Pentium
    8kb memory cache
    256kb secondary memory cache
    System model Gateway 2000
    48mb RAM
    IE version 5.5, SP1

I also have an oudated AVG installed (outdated since I can't download the update! Argh!)