Linksys TKIP: Constant disconnections....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys TKIP: Constant disconnections....

Linksys TKIP: Constant disconnections....

I recently purchased a linksys router/wireless/4 port switch from Wally world. When using "WPA Pre-Shared Key" with algorithm "TKIP" my wireless connection constantly drops. For some reason i would get disconnected after a couple of minutes and then I would have a hard time establishing the wireless connection again. Does anybody else have this same problem? I tried everything and its annoying.

have you tryed turning off the encryption? Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware installed on your router? latest drivers for the wireless cards? checked for malware on your computer? are you too far from the access point? when you are connected do you have good a good signal rating? Have you tried using WEP instead of WPA? Does it happen to other computers or just yours? Are you sure its not the internet dropping out, could be a problem with the modem?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

"have you tryed turning off the encryption?": Yep and the connection is good
    "Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware installed on your router?": latest firmware downloaded into the router.
    "latest drivers for the wireless cards?": yep got the latest drivers installed
    "checked for malware on your computer?": ran a scan yesterday and i was clear
    "are you too far from the access point?": 3 feet away
    "when you are connected do you have good a good signal rating?": excellent signal
    "Have you tried using WEP instead of WPA?" WEP does the same thing, if I turn off security the connection is flawless.
    "Does it happen to other computers or just yours?" so far just mine
    "Are you sure its not the internet dropping out, could be a problem with the modem?": nope, i have multiple browsing the web through wire.

It's wierd, when i have security turned on, it says that i am connected but it has a very tough time recieving a ip address from the built in dhcp server........

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I ran into that problem with one of their WRT54Gs (ver 2.2 I believe). After spending too long on the phone with their tech support (an hour and a half and techie thinks I need more DHCP leases -- I have 10 for a 6 computer setup; "Brillance" thinks I need 50) I began to realize it was a lemon and returned it for an exchange. The new one, ver 2, works peachie keen.

Oh.. and you're not using a wireless phone near it are you? (We have a 2.4Ghz phone that when I use the handset it craps out the connection -- I can still be connected but no IP).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

mskittens, thats what i thought too. I also thought it was a lemon, but its already a year old. What are the warranty on these things? I have the Linksys BEFW11S4 ver. 4. I have no wireless phone nearby either. What are you doing up so late missy?

try rolling back the firmware on the router, perhaps there is a bug in the newest version?

thats what i wanted to do, but i got lazy. I am guessing this probably a bad router......

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    So late? It's 6:45am! Go to Linksys' website and see if they have warranty information. But if it's already a year old, are you saying that you didn't have this problem before and now it's starting? Are you in an apartment building? Have you called their tech support yet (such as it is) to see what they may be able to offer?

If you have to return it, you'll probably have to do with the manufacturer rather than "Wally World" since it's probably beyond the store's return policy time (usually 14-90 days).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I really didn't started fooling around with the wireless till 2 weeks ago. Looks like a lot of folks have the same problem....

http://www2.dslreports.com/forum/rem...flat~start=600

well then, I would really suggesst trying to roll back the frimware or give linksys a holler.