Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate methodologies of reason

Alternate methodologies of reason

Has anyone read anything on alternate forms of reasoning methodologies, e.g. Dialectics? I am familiar with dialectics, but is there anything else?
    http://www.planet-smilies.de/teufel/teufel_017.gif
    My name is Draxx...you simians may refer to me merely as \'sir\' for a less syllable-intensive workout.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Dialectics?!? Got a decent link?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Are you speaking of this?

http://www.marxist.com/Theory/ABC.html
    The ABC of Materialist Dialectics

yes there are many different styles of reasoning...obviously...they shouldn't be too difficult to find...what religion, philosophy, ideology and dogma interests you?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Uuuhhhhh....

Yeah.

/me pours another 151 and Coke and fires up Weekend at Bernies (again)
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hi zencoder,

He didn't say he was a practising communist...just was familiar with it

Here's one for you...

http://eserver.org/philosophy/tao-teh-ching.txt
    tao-teh-ching.txt

and the download...

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/web...lookup?num=216
    Project Gutenberg Edition of Tao Teh King

Eg

AO Senior Cow-beller
    I wasn't referring to Draxx at all. That .sig line gives me enough pause to consider him capable of intriguing and intelligent conversation, so I'll linger long enough to hear his viewpoint.

I read the first few paragraphs of Mr. Trotsky's fine essay...and promptly went to get pissed. Reminds me too much of sophmore philosophy class in college.

I'm more intrigued by existentialism. Forget the deep thoughts and Just Do It. Who knew Nike was so cerebral?

Hi Draxx,

Try looking for stuff by Edward de Bono................lateral thinking and all that? he may well have something relevant?

Cheers

'presuppositionalism', which may be defined as insistence on an ultimate category of thought or a conceptual framework which one must assume in order to make a sensible interpretation of reality
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/webpages54/ap/presup.html

The naked truth is that we must make fundamental assumptions before
    we can begin to think or apply logic. Therefore "open mindedness" is either
    madness or, more likely, hypocrisy.

Presuppositionalism is "narrow mindedness" proudly come out of the closet.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

********** |ceWriterguy
    My 'school of thought' : "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", and "If it smells like ****, it probably is."

Hrm. Add a third to that - "Kill them all. Let God sort them out."

If you want to give a name to those lines of thinking you're quite welcome. It seems to me that each and every one of you is completely overlooking the all-encompassing 'stick everything in a box' school of thinking, which is what this thread is attempting to do.

Quite frankly, I have no one box that I truly fit into. I honestly believe the preceding applies to all rational humans. We make judgements on past experience - it's a matter of self protection. We try to keep an open mind about things when we're learning, or when we're dealing with someone or something we deeply care about. We develop new ways of dealing with things when the methods we're familiar with don't work - unless we're of the 'alcoholic personality' bent in which case we keep trying the same crap and expecting different results. How can one put a label on such an ever-changing thing as the human mind, most especially it's method of thinking? I don't think in the same way I thought 2 minutes ago, I certainly don't think the way I did 16 years ago, and I'm pretty sure I won't think the same way tomorrow as I am thinking now.

Where's my label now, bitch?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Human