Is this murder or what?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this murder or what?

Is this murder or what?

PINELLAS PARK, Fla. - After another round of losses in the courts, Terri Schiavo's parents kept watch over their dying daughter Saturday, trying in vain to give her Easter communion as their attorneys acknowledged the fight to reconnect the brain-damaged woman's feeding tube was nearing an end.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._damaged_woman

So let's starve her to death because her husband claims that this is what she wanted. Meanwhile he's going to collect insurance money so that he can marry somebody else. Why not just get a divorce and go on with his life ??? Money, money... money, money....

She's not a vegetable in comma. She smiles, she cries, she looks around, shows emotions...she only needs a feeding tube, hence, she's not in life support.

http://www.terrisfight.net

But then, this was suppost to be a painless procedure done many times before. Yeah, I wish one of those judges would starve himself for two weeks and them let us know if it was painful or not.

hospice workers began giving morphine to Schiavo to ease pain brought on by her body's failure
    Wait a second, i thought it was painless! Why the morphine?
    I'm not sorry for stating my opinion, but each and everyone of those judges dismissing the case, as well as Mister Michael should be charged with murder in the first degree.

Meanwhile he's going to collect insurance money so that he can marry somebody else. Why not just get a divorce and go on with his life ??? Money, money... money, money....
    NAME:
    RECENT PHOTOGRAPH:
    ADDRESS:
    INDEX NUMBER OF AUTOMOBILE:

Good Day,

So let's starve her to death...
    This situation is another truly sad day for humanity. Even with a hardened criminal we expedite the process to make it quick. I guess because she’s innocent and harmless they must make her suffer such a gruesome death. May God hold her close and those responsible, thrust down to hell where they belong.

Connection refused, try again later.

Banned
    In a civil justice system, judges apply the law, they don't make laws - in stead of trying to blame the judges and wanting to charge them with first-degree murder, you might want to take a look at the people who made the laws.
    12 courts said that Michael is right - those 12 courts applied the laws made by the same Congress that is now trying to change their own laws. Separation of justice and state is a concept that this country can't seem to grasp - if a Congress member would step in to "take care" of his nephews speeding ticket, the country would be turned upside-down and everybody would scream for that Congress member's resignation. But in this case it's ok?

And morphine is applied even when there is 100% certainty that the patient can not feel anything.

I'm not saying that it's ok to let her die - I honestly don't know what I would do in this case. But I do know that Congress is out of line, and I do know that the judges applied the laws exactly like they're supposed to.

Negative is right. Michael is her husband, therefore legally he has the guardianship of his wife. By state law, her guardian has legal custody of her, and is responsible for fulfilling her last wishes. He has been able to prove to the courts that her last wishes were not to be kept alive like this. Her parents were not. Her parents have also been unable to provide strong testimony that caused this to be over-turned on appeal, in any court. The judges who have made these decisions have followed the letter of the law. They have no leeway in their decisions, they must follow the law. And they have done so. If you don't like the decisions, I suggest you turn to the lawmakers, not the judges who uphold standing law.

This happens all the time, by families who are able to conduct themselves more appropriately and privately than the Schindlers who have made it an issue for the whole world to weigh in on. My grandmother and grandfather both suffered devastating health catastrophes and were incapable of recovery and had their feeding tubes removed. My grandfather I was too young to be present for, but I was 25 when my grandmother passed. Her feeding tube was removed and she went to sleep and never woke up. It was very peaceful, and I only hope my death is as restful as hers was. I'm not stating my opinion on the subject of Mrs. Schiavo's condition, I'm only saying that the removal of feeding tubes to allow a quiet easeful death is common in the US.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Obviously the “legal” system was followed to the letter. And unfortunately it appears (must in some cases) that they completely disregard the spirit of the law when applying the letter.

A case like this tugs at our heartstrings and we believe requires far more compassion than the letter of the law can apply. A certified living will would have prevented this whole thing and allowed it to happen sooner or not at all!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Banned
    I believe that the only reason there is so much controversy over this case (because let's face it: similar stuff happens every single day) is the "benefits" for Michael. He'll get the life insurance (a million bucks?), he's got a girlfriend (and has had for over 10 years) whom he plans to marry...
    I believe that a lot of people see this as "circumstancial" evidence: "he's doing it for the money, he's doing it because he's got a girlfriend"... I wonder what would have happened if Michael would have promised to give the money to some charity concerned with "dignified dying"...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I found this and this. I know here the CBC has mentioned the fact that Michael was offered $10 million by Terri's parents to walk away from it all -- and he turned them down.

*shrug*
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

********** |ceWriterguy
    Having already posted my opinions on the case in a different thread which (thankfully) tink has no access to, I'll not waste time repeating them here. I will, however, cut and paste the quote for those of you who lack the benefit of decoder rings.

WTF is the huge controversy over the lady in the vegetative state and the feeding tube? It's been 15 years since she was diagnosed and probably won't ever recover. Do her mom and dad REALLY want her to have to stare at hospital walls living on machines forever? Even if she IS semi-cognitive it matters not - consider what having to stare at the same room day after day with no way of relieving the monotony EVER and what it would do to you. Are they really thinking of her Quality of Life in their selfishness? If it were me, I wouldn't just want my feeding tube removed, I'd want someone to come in and inject me with potassium and stop my heart. WTF is up with Dubya trying to get involved and CONvince Congress to legislate around a court ruling? Does he think he's winning a popularity contest? On this issue I'm almost ashamed to be Republican due to his stance. *fume*
    Once again, I'll iterate to those of you who're wanting to keep her alive, it's the QUALITY OF LIFE that's the issue. Since writing the above blurb, I've written a nice living will. It has these wonderful letters "DNR" in red across the top. Nuff said.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

There is much evidence on both sides, both that Mr. Schiavo is doing this for his benefit, and that Mrs. Schiavo's parents are doing it for theirs. To be brief, it has been bandied about in the press that Mr. Schiavo will get the $1.2 million that was court-ordered to he and Terri by a malpractice jury approximately 7 years ago. This is not the case, as can easily be seen by viewing accounts of the money. The majority of it has been used in this legal battle, and for Terri's care. There have also been numerous allegations that the Schindlers are in this hoping that they will be able to sue the state in a civil case for wrongful death and win $$. I don't believe that either. I simply cannot imagine parents using their child for such mercenary purposes. However, they wouldn't be the first parents to use their children for gain. Personally, I feel that they've just been fighting this battle for too long, and are doing so out of habit now rather than any real feeling for Terri or what she would really want to happen.

My real point here was to be that one of my first jobs was as a CNA in a nursing home. At the age of 20, I completed a Living Will. I saw too many people just vegetating because there was no way to prove what they really wanted, and their children didn't have the courage to let them go. You can get either the Five Wishes from Aging with Dignity for $5, or you can go to any local Hospice Center and get a Living Will document for free. All of the public libraries in this area also have copies of Living Wills provided by Hospice, you can just pick them up. Both of them are very similar, and they are very simple to complete. It's basically a fill-in-the-blank document that gives you all of your options, and you can choose what you would prefer. They cover a number of things that I hadn't even really thought of. Or you can go to an attorney and have one done for you, for a fee, of course. It's something I feel very strongly about. The other important thing is that you talk to your family. Some of you aren't old enough to feel this is neccesary, but Mrs. Schiavo was 26 when she collapsed. My parents know that I want my husbands wishes followed in all cases if this were to happen to me, he knows specifically what those wishes are, and I have The Five Wishes filled out and filed with my doctor, my attorney, my husband and my parents. When my son reaches 18, he will get a copy also. To do this means that my family, any of them, knows exactly what I want. They don't have to make any painful decisions for me, I've made them all. All they have to do is follow them. You are also free at any time to update your Living Wills, if your desires and needs change as you age, so if you fill one out at 18, and decide later in your life that it isn't what you want, you can change it and not be stuck with the decisions you made at 18. I just can't imagine that after living my life the way I saw fit for my lifetime, I would lose the ability to die the way I choose as well.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.