Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIM tracking question

AIM tracking question

is it possible to track someone's IP and eventually, address and person just through a screename on AIM? i have having issues with an unknown person who keeps harassing me and attempting to send trojans and i am thinking of reporting this to the police. before i do, i just wanted to ask you guys if this is possible. i told the person that i would report to the police and he/she has never signed on again. so now i probably won't be able to get any other information other than the person's screen name. sorry if this is ridiciulous question, but i really want to know

Banned
    Block the user, if it continues:
    Document and report to AOL and your ISP, if it continues:
    Contact law enforcement, though to be honest they won't do much.

Better off changing your screen name and/or start using a deny by default friends filter.

cheers,

catch

You could hack AOL's server and see from whcih IP the screen names signe on last

Nah you won't be able to track him with only having his screen name.
    O.G at A.O

thanks for your advice so far, it is greatly appreciated! i was guessing, please correct me if i'm wrong, that if i contacted aol, they could see when and where the screename was created since after all, it is created within their own servers. but since this isn't a major assault in hacking, i guess they won't even bother?

Nop they won't. Unless you have a court order. But they wouldn't go through all that trouble for the public....
    O.G at A.O

johndoe89,

and he/she has never signed on again
    if that's the case...why worry about it? If he/she comes back...say you reported it and they are in the process of trying to locate him/her...that should sufficiently scare the stuffing out of whoever.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Welcome to AO. 2 suggestions for you -

1. Report the offending screen name to AOL. You can do this by emailing them at TOSEmail1@aol.com . They can ban whomever's doing it and report them directly to their ISP if it isn't AOL. They're quite good at their jobs of banning people from using their service, and they WILL investigate every report whether it came from the general public or from the authorities. Send what documentation you have in your email to them.

2. Search your thread topic before starting a new thread - you can do this from the start page of AO in the search blank. There was a thread along this line about a week ago explaining how AIM works and why you can't find out someone's IP. You can read that thread here:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=267105

Hope that helped!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

AOL screen names are like hotmail accounts, they can be made without and real info. I have literally dozens of AIM screen names and none have my real info. SO the screen name it self leaves no claim as to who the user is. As far as tracing the IP, then the user was probably using DHCP, which means it could have changed several times over and if it was dial up it would be a new IP every time. even if you could fully provve it was from a certain IP, and that you knew the username was created by you cant prove they were on the computer at the time. The most you can do is report it to aol and they MIGHT deactivate the account, and then the person will create a new one and just be pissed becasue they lost their "ultra 1337 name"
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

********** |ceWriterguy
    XTC - think on this. Use the data I provided in this thread, and the data provided in the one I linked to. Add 2+2. You will find that:

A screenname links you to an IP address within AOL's systems. ALL screennames do because they're all unique. AOL routinely backtraces IP addresses to verify data within their CRIS system (which is accounts information.) It really matters not that you have hundreds of screennames which aren't yours - they're associated by IP, and if you decide to do something against AOL TOS, they'll bust you for it and you lose all. (TOS being 2 things - Terms of Service agreement, and the folks who enforce it.)
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I understand that you can be traced to an IP but for 1) AOL will not give out that info without alot of legal pressure. 2) if its the IP for say a library it makes no difference becasue you have no idea who the user is/was 3) you cant prove who was at the keyboard even if it were a residential acount. It comes down to the little real information they have been nearly useless in this type of situation.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com