Thread: Home Directory Inaccessible

Home Directory Inaccessible

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem I was hoping someone could help me solve. I am running Windows XP on one machine, and W2K on another machine. The W2K machine has a shared folder called "temp" with permissions for everyone to have full access (bear with me here, I know this is a bad idea, but I just want to make sure first that all perms are set for everyone).

It is also worth noting that the two machines are on separate domains, BUT I can log into one from the other and vice versa, when I map drives. So, everything is fine there.

Second, the XP machine has a IIS 5.1 FTP server running. I mapped the shared w2k directory successfully to drive Y:. I would like for drive Y:\ to become my home directory for the FTP server.

I try to login via ftp through the command line, I get the following error:

"530 User Anonymous cannot log in, home directory inaccessible."

In the cmd prompt, I can definitely go to Y: and see the directory contents.

So, I tried the other way, connect to remote machine. I entered \\192.168.0.10\temp\, connect as MY_DOMAIN\username, enter the password: I get the same thing when I try to log in.

Notes: Read is enabled on the home directory, and so is write. Anonymous access is allowed. Interestingly, when I click browse and check names, it tells me that it cannot access my_domain, even though I know it can. I don't know if this is the root of my problem, but somehow I doubt it, because it won't even accept the mapped drive (Y) as my home directory.

Thank you all

-ik

If ANYONE has ANY idea what is going on, I would REALLY appreciate it.
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're problem is the y: is only mapped for that session/user. When someone FTPs in they start a new session in which the y: is not mapped and thus inaccessible. I don't know how to go about fixing this, but this may give you an idea as to how to do it.

Maybe specify it via \\192.168.x.x\share instead of y:

Hi Zenger, thanks for your quick reply.

I've tried mapping it via share also, and it didn't work.

The really messed up thing is that others within my company are able to map the share as their ftp root on their iis ftp server, and it works fine! And I really cannot see any difference in their setup and mine, which leads me to believe it is some sort of hidden or unknown (to me) security policy.

Any other suggestions?
    -ik
    Alright Brain, you don\'t like me, and I don\'t like you. But let\'s just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.
    -- Homer S.

Update: The computers must be part of the same domain in order for to use a network directory as your root.

BUT... the big caveat here is that our customer is unable to do it when they are NOT part of any domain, they are all under WORKGROUP. So basically, I've solved my problem here (which, in effect, doesn't do me much good).

*headache*

any suggestions?

-ik
    -- Homer S.