Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basics of Wireless Security...

Quote Originally Posted by chaosclown
    i have a question. here goes. i have a wireless network adapter not a router and im near someone who does have a router but i dont know who. windows says it is an unsecure network and things may been seen by others on this network.
    Well, if you don't know who owns the router you doubtless do not have permission to use it?

That leaves you with three problems:

1. Is it a trap?
    2. As it is unsecured what malware is lurking on it? It would be a reasonable assumption that the rest of the system is unsecure as well?
    3. Are you already "owned"

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Well, if you don't know who owns the router you doubtless do not have permission to use it?

That leaves you with three problems:

1. Is it a trap?
    2. As it is unsecured what malware is lurking on it? It would be a reasonable assumption that the rest of the system is unsecure as well?
    3. Are you already "owned"
    Nihil is right your'e owned..or he do have a ad-hoc connection running between pc's (peer to peer).The reason why he's network is not secure because WEP encryption don't work with ad-hoc networks.
    Get yourself a acces point.
    The Power Of Your Imagination:

cool dude

i kinda found your post quite educative about the basics of wirelesscause i was finding it hard but your post simplifies everything.

thanks again

Another good idea is to turn of your wireless router when your not using it.
    If you have it on all the time people can/will eventually crack it.
    Darksats Security Forum
    The Internet is boring, I want the expansion pack.

The Real Sexism is against men
    Rapebombing

Here's a thought, don't use wireless. :P

amen to that
    If the world doesn't stop annoying me I will name my kids ";DROP DATABASE;" and get revenge.

As a general rule it is definitely better to have WEP instead of nothing at all. But other than that i would not recommend using WEP. It's relatively easy to crack and with some recent improvements in aircrack-ng (one piece of software used for cracking WEP keys) it only takes a matter of few minutes to get access to the network.
    If you plan on cracking a wireless network, not broadcasting your SSID and not using DHCP can be easy to work around. IMHO using WPA (or WPA2 even better, if all your machines support it) + changing your default SSID name serve as a much better protection against unwated visitors

But again, WEP is better than no encryption at all to protect from casual users searching for free internet (or with a malicious intent)
    You last visited: July 24th, 2004 at 02:40 AM <--- DAAAAMN

Talking

You could also try to keep people away by changing your SSID to "Department of Homeland Security - Cyber Terrorism Division".
    sandwich.

i'm like everyone's questions very much, but i found if you use more time to try it ,
    the question wil be sloved.

spoton, really good article, helped a lot thanks on providing the definitions aswell