Anatomy of a 419
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a 419

Anatomy of a 419

I just finished an article on 419 that I've worked on over the past couple months. The process took 60+ days, 50+ emails, 12 voicemails, 6 trips to Western Union, and forged documents out the wazoo. If you are interested, here's the link.

Anatomy of a 419

The attachment is 12 voicemails I received from the scammer, the weird sounds throughout are distorted names. Enjoy!

Great!

As I haven't ever recieved a e-mail from somone attempting to scam me this tought me alot.
    Most pepole will use common sense and not respond to these e-mails, however users with little or no experience when it comes to internet most likley will reply. And they dont realise that these pepole (atleast the successful ones) are smart and can turn the situation into their favor even when you reply with "godieplzkthnx". anyways great great great article and very nice of you to share it
    w0ob

Banned
    really it was an informative posting. THanks Soda Popinsky for all ur experiments to nab a scammer on the vast net.

It was a good entertainment to listen to voice mails as well.

Could somebody suggest how to get the origin of a spammer as well.

what exactly does 419 stand for or is a code by whom?
    Nice article though, I'm interested in knowing which online voice mail you used, seems like something worth bookmarking.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    My understanding is that it stands for the law of Nigeria that the scam violates. This Wikipedia entry should help. Basically, advanced fee scam.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Noia,

what exactly does 419 stand for or is a code by whom?
    419 (read more here) - http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/ - it is actually the first link that appears in Google search for 419.

More results here - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=419

THE FIVE RULES FOR DOING BUSINESS WITH NIGERIA
    Courtesy of The 419 Coalition
    1. NEVER pay anything up front for ANY reason.
    2. NEVER extend credit for ANY reason.
    3. NEVER do ANYTHING until their check clears.
    4. NEVER expect ANY help from the Nigerian Government.
    5. NEVER rely on YOUR Government to bail you out.
    Soda_Popinsky,

Nice investigation and devotion of time.

This type of SCAM really gets in most of my e-mails almost every week (but in my bulk mail box). So, how's the reporting going? I mean have you reported the IP's already? Or still needs more proof to crack down the real BAD GUYS? Just curious.

Nice job!

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

VIA FAX

BTW, my BOSS also receives these kind of info via the Office's FACSIMILE MACHINE. The last time he received it, he tried to contact the S2P!D sender but cannot reached by that time. I* can't forget the FAX MESSAGE really pisses him (MY BOSS) during those days.

LoLZ

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

cheers for the info.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I didn't even notice anyone was replying... sorry!

http://www.k7.net for voicemail.

As far as nabbing them... not much you can do. I spoke to Western Union's fraud department and turned in all of their information, so if it appears in any transactions in the future it will be flagged. They simply aren't in the business of doing these kinds of investigations, they only push money around the world. As far as IP reporting goes... it's pointless. ISP's simply don't care. If you can find the business they operate out of (internet cafe's, library, yadda yadda) then you'll have better luck.

It's more effective to make them afraid of sending another email. They have to change their methods once they are caught, including new fake ID's, new bait lists, new blogs to search.

I just realized there is another thread named the exactly the same thing, as well as an article too. Crap.

Re: Great!

Originally posted here by w0ob
    ..., however users with little or no experience when it comes to internet most likley will reply. ...
    Hi w0ob,

Actually, the 419 scams go back to before the Internet. It used to be mailed letters coming out of Nigeria, and people would also fall for it. The Internet has just made it faster to get 419-ed if you believe the stories.

Some people just lose all common sense when they see lots of zeroes and a dollar sign ... that's the sad truth.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule