Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a Windows dialog creater. Such thing?

Question I need a Windows dialog creater. Such thing?

I am a Computer Tech. After cleaning most systems, I install some things to help keep the computer safe/er and clean. After installing and running the progs., I place a .txt file I created, on the desktop. This text explains what the programs are, how often to run them, and how. I had a great idea, but I do not know how to go about this.

I would like the computer to start up and have a dialog window pop up with my messege. I would like it to have it have a "Close" button, and a check box saying something like "Do not show this window again". I have even more ideas such as a tab or something that once clicked the same messege is shown in Spanish.

Is there anything out there I can download for free that can create custom dialog boxes like this?

I hope so.

Thanks, AO.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I know this can be done, I just don't know how to do it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with creating the popup you want to show the user, and sticking it in startup. What I would first try is doing your txt file in notepad, and putting that document into the startup - as to the HOW to get it in there I'm not quite sure - it's not MSConfig, and sticking it in the startup section of the start menu doesn't work either.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    I know you want something that is free...I did a search and all I saw were add-ins for existing programs. Some were free, some were not, but none did what you are requesting. That being said, maybe you could get your company to buy Visual Studio .NET....or maybe you could get the academic version. It's kind of overkill if the only thing you need to do is run a messageBox at start up, but you could definitely get the job done. You could do it in C# or VB in about 5 minutes. Then have the .exe run at startup.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

I looked...I saw...I found...I hope it helps...

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...icle.asp?ID=15
    Creating Custom Dialog Boxes

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/faqs/xl95faq6.htm
    Excel 95 Developer FAQ: Part 6

http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/selfhelp/do.../exlvba-t2.pdf
    exlvba-t2.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Exclamation

No dialog boxes in this solution, but here's what I've generally done in the past.

1) Create the text file in Notepad.
    2) At the beginning or the end of the file put your "Please click the "X" when finished reading" in bold letters.
    3) Save the file to C:\ or wherever using a .txt extension
    4) Now create a simple batch file with a command that loads the text file in Notepad. (some command like "Notepad c:\stuff.txt"), call it logon.bat (whatever)
    5) Put this batch file in the logon scripts portion of "Computer Management, Local computer policy (if you added this section, I did), User Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts, Logon."

1) Make another batch file that checks for the existence of the logon.bat and if exist, delete c:\logon.bat.
    2) Put that batch file in the logoff scripts portion of "Computer Management, Local computer policy, User Configuration, Windows Settings, Scripts, Logoff."

I have something like this going on right now with my wife's IE and my IE history. When she logs off and I log on, I ONLY see my search terms, search history plus whatever and when she logs on, she sees hers ONLY. She doesn't know where I've been and I don't care where she's been. (We use a tabbed browser too). Everything is automatic.

OR

Create a batch file that uses the command "Net Send", the IP address and the words you want to say. Check net send /? for details.

OR

I've used a program, a long long time ago, that would make .txt's into .exe which you could then use.

All the above is merely food for thought, and not *exact* instructions.
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

could you not create your txt file and then put a registry key in 'run once' so it loads up first time they start PC but then doesn't load again?

v_Ln

Just Another Geek
    Why not script something in VBScript? You could use MsgBox for the popup.

MsgBox Function
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Exclamation

Originally posted here by valhallen
    could you not create your txt file and then put a registry key in 'run once' so it loads up first time they start PC but then doesn't load again?
    v_Ln
    I already thought of this and then discarded it because a .txt cannot execute.
    So when you said this, I thought of replying how it won't work, BUT only after I tried it myself.

So I'm creating this test.txt file and putting it in a REG_SZ value under RunOnce, with the parameters pointing to c:\test.txt. During this time I get the idea... HEY, the .txt is already associated with the notepad program...hmmm... I wonder..??

So I reboot and..... the big finale...!!

The logon hangs...!

I'm just about ready to abort logon (30 seconds of nothingness), but instead low and behold...

The desktop appears sporting the text file all opened up ready for reading. She's alive!!
    (plus the registry entry is gone too).

So... could someone pass me the ketchup ...this crow is a bit chewy...
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Just Another Geek
    It might speed up the logon if you try start c:\mytextfile.txt.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'm having fun just reading all these. Thank you, everyone! I also thought about the whole "run once" idea, but thought an actual dialog box would look more professional. I think a co-worker and I are going to play around with VBScript.

I only wish I really knew how to program. I would make a freeware dialog maker! Anyone want to help me? I have great ideas for a very simple user interface. The whole program would be very user friendly.

Once again, thanks!