Thread: The slow burn...

Old Fart

The slow burn...

ok...heres the background... P4 @ 2.8 ghz, 256 mb, 120 gb hdd, Lite-on 1633s 16x dual layer DVD +- R RW, winxp home and NOT MY BOX.

Here's the problem...using Nero 6 ultra the computer has been able to burn a full length DVD from an image file in about 14 minutes. Now the same process takes 45 - 50 minutes on a GOOD day. I've run spybot S&D, the cleaner, anti-virus...reinstalled nero...everything looks clean but this box runs as fast as a jar of molasses @ -30 degrees. There's nothing out of the ordinary in the processes window either. Any suggestions out there?
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Exclamation

DVD mixup?? Using 1X DVDs??
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Old Fart
    Using 16x DVDs....at worst they show as burning @ 8x.
    Al

Hey Hey,

Have you tried one of those Laser Lens Cleaner discs? It made a huge difference on my 8X.

Also have you checked to see if theirs a firmware update? The latest firmware can make a huge difference...

Anyways, It seems like you're not alone... it also slowed down on this guy, but he had other problems as well...

http://www.computerbb.org/about1517.html

I'd also be curious.. has anything new been installed in the box? or is there anything else on the IDE chain?

Changes to the size of the page file? There's not a lot of RAM so while burning a DVD (especially if it's dual-layer) I'd think that a decent page file size would be required to buffer all the data.. Was someone playing with settings on it.. or has more of the HDD space been sued compared to before?

I've got a few other ideas floating around in my head.. I'll post them tomorrow when my head is more clear.

Peace,
    HT

Old Fart
    Thanx HT.... firmware was the first thing I did when I installed the burner...website confirms it has the latest version. The p/f is a good idea, I'll look in to that later today but by all means post your other suggestions when you've achieved the clarity you seek.
    Al

Hi allenb~

You might try defragmenting as well, that can sometimes resolve software performance issues

Also check how much free space you have on your HD.

Maybe try deleting your temp files and the content of the prefetch folder.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn