Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's gotta be a codec somewhere...

********** |ceWriterguy

Angry It's gotta be a codec somewhere...

The box runs XP home sp2 fully upgraded, winmediaplayer 10 up to date. I've also got MediaPlayerClassic onboard and used to have VideoLan (uninstalled because it stopped starting - kept bugging - piss me off! that was my only dvd decoder too).

My problem:

Vids play in green instead of normal. Everything looks green. I try to colour adjust but it involves a HUGE adjustment to saturation and hue to get it even remotely looking correct.

This problem existed before I reloaded XP the last time (about a month ago) and now it's returned. I haven't added or removed software since about 2 days prior to the foulup, and haven't changed any vid settings since. HJT, AdAware, and Spybot say no spyware, PCCillin says no virii.

Any suggestions?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

see if virtual dub can play it and note the codec it uses.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Heh, ok. I didn't know about VirtualDub until today when you mentioned it. It seems like a nice vidplayer package, but on opening generic pron flick number 882 I get the following:

Not Supported: Microsoft owns US Patent #6,041,345 on the ASF file format, preventing third-party applications from extracting data from ASF files. ASF file format support was removed as of v1.3d at the request of Microsoft and to avoid infringement claims, and as such VirtualDub no longer supports ASF. Please do not ask for versions that do.
    Now WinMedia shows a wonderful Beta-Hidrii version of this lil pron flick (everything's green). I tried a DVD with VideoDub and had no luck either. Any further suggestions?

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

gspot will tell you what you need and where to get it if its a codec issue (very useful program)
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=gspot&...en-US:official

doesn't like the long url ?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, here we go - I had GSpot on my system already. Loaded the movie in question into it and hit render and got the following:

Video Src Type WMV3 Audio Src WMAudioV2
    Video Path (S) --> ASF ICM Handler --> WMVideoDecoder DMO --> (R)
    Audio Path (S) --> ASF ICM Handler --> WMAudioDecoder DMO --> (R)

DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following combination of filters were used:

Windows Media Source Filter (Source)

ASF ICM Handler (Video Pre-processor)
    WMVideo Decoder DMO (Video Decoder)
    Video Renderer (Video Renderer)

ASF ACM Handler (Audio Pre-processor)
    WMAudio Decoder DMO (Audio Decoder)
    Default DirectSound Device (Audio Renderer)
    What from here?

[edit]Ok, more update: I got froggy and reinstalled DirectX 9 enduser from M$. No fix - they're still green humans. Now that we've eliminated DX9, should I start replacing other codecs as well?[/edit]

[moredit]Ok, still more update - and this one makes me go hrm?!? - did 'streaming video' from a site using QuickTime. QT was up to the challenge, having no 'alien pictures' - vid was clear. It was the same vid I was trying to play locally on winmedia just under QT format and not downloadable. Now what?[/moredit]

Did you try installing DivX. DivX always played all my movie files perfect.
    O.G at A.O

********** |ceWriterguy
    Tried DivX on your suggestion. No fix - it's green. Like I said it's got to be a codec somewhere that's fuxored.

Hi l3lacklce,

If they don't give you the answer maybe they'll give you a few clues...

Microsoft DV Codec that comes with Windows and Windows Media Player. ...
    frame of the clip shows just the green screen, set the scrub bar to that frame, ...

http://www.seriousmagic.com/help/faq...=ULTRA&faqid=2
    ULTRA Support

If you are having problems with Full Screen (eg, only a black screen ...
    You see video in your RealPlayer but it has a green tint to it and may be ...

http://service.real.com/help/player/...leshooting.htm
    troubleshooting.htm

When playing back an Quicktime movie using the Aurora Igniter X Hardware codecs on my G5 all I get is a green screen with a few weird artifacts. But when I remove the Igniter Codecs from the Quicktime Codec Library the file plays fine.

http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthr...b=5&o=&fpart=1
    2-pop forums: Igniter X Codecs output green screen in Qucktime?

[DOC] Frequently Asked Questions on Viewing a Webcast
    File Format: Microsoft Word 2000 - View as HTML
    ... Windows Media has the best codec (better compression than QuickTime or DivX
    for streaming) ... Windows Media Player screen is green with pink wavy lines ...
    www.tagwsa.org/external/index.cfm?cid=482& fuseaction=EXTERNAL.docview&documentID=57198 -
    http://www.tagwsa.org/external/index...mentID=57198 -

Eg ...best I could do...hope it helps

********** |ceWriterguy
    Thanks for the links - it's not a green screen though, and QT seems to be working fine. So far it's Windows Media Player 9, Media Player Classic, and now divX that show a bad green hue in the screen - looks like aliens :P With HARD color adjustments in mediaplayer I can get it to where there's a semblance of normalcy, but it's gone after that one clip plays. I tried using this from MS help and support center, but got nowhere - sorry, add/remove programs and add new hardware don't work that way - details after.

Multimedia: How to Reinstall Audio and Video Codecs in Microsoft Windows 2000
    Article ID : 276423
    Last Review : November 24, 2003
    Revision : 1.0
    This article was previously published under Q276423
    On this page
    SUMMARY
    MORE INFORMATION
    REFERENCES

SUMMARY
    This article describes how to uninstall and reinstall audio and video codecs in Microsoft Windows 2000.

When you install Windows 2000, audio and video codecs are not installed by default. To reinstall the codecs, you must first remove any codecs that are installed on the computer, and then reinstall Windows Media Player.

NOTE: You must also reinstall any programs that install their own codecs.
    MORE INFORMATION
    To uninstall specific audio and video codecs, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Sounds and Multimedia.
    3. Click the Hardware tab.
    4. To uninstall an audio codec, double-click Audio Codecs, click the Properties tab, click the codec that you want to uninstall, and then click Remove.
    5. To uninstall a video codec, double-click Video Codecs, click the Properties tab, click the codec that you want to uninstall, and then click Remove.

REFERENCES
    For additional information about how to reinstall audio codecs or media control devices in Windows 2000, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    254354 Reinstalling Audio Codecs or Media Control Devices in Windows 2000

Reinstalling Windows Media Player does not reinstall all the Codecs.
    It's made for win2k not winxp - I attempted the hardware reinstall of codecs hoping it would overwrite them, but no luck. There isn't a 'media' button on add/remove programs for me to remove codecs though...

Hi l3lacklce,

This may or may not help...

http://support.microsoft.com/default....asp#video_bad
    default.aspx

gotta go to bed ... girl's back to school tomorrow .... if you don't have the problem solved by the time I get back...I'll take another look around.

Eg