Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you overclock your pc?

I don't think that processor speeds are as important these days, certainly for ordinary desktops.
    I've wondered the same thing. My two best machines run P3's with somewhere around a gig of MHz each, so they are certainly not the latest and greatest in today's world of P4s. But with 512mb of RAM they can fly with the best of 'em.

This is the way to overclock.

5 GHz Project: CPU Cooling With Liquid Nitrogen
    http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/index.html

They have a video for download that is pretty cool as well. (no pun intended)

Video Link
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Conclusion: Overclock well, and keep your box in a refrigerator.

Got it.

CXGJarrod

Has hit the nail on the head, there is a sort of overclockers' cult, where they do that sort of thing out of scientific/academic interest, or just for the hell of it.

Another method of cooling to check out is the Peltier.

cheers for the advice peeps

hardocp.com also has a lot of good OCing stuff...

OCing your first time doesn't have to end in disaster, Angelic. Just work your way up slowly increasing the voltages on your CPU. The hardest part is unlocking the CPU multiplier. It's easy to keep from messing stuff up if you pay attention to your CPU temp.

For how much performance you will get, it really depends on the CPU version and the CPU you got from the manufacturer itself, as ever CPU is a little different. My 2800+ may be able to gain 300Mhz with no real heat problems, whereas yours, with the same core and about the same creation date, may only be able to get 150Mhz.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.