how do you overclock your pc?

i dont quite no how to overclock my pc or wether i should

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...our+PC&spell=1

use google

and no i wouldn't recommend it.
    O.G at A.O

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Short answer : NO

If you don't know how to, OR whether you should : DON'T.

You can damage your PC by running it at speeds that the manufacturer did not envisage when they built it, and they will therefore not consider any warranty claims ............

Overclocking is done to produce more byte per buck

The basics behind it are to adjust the voltages into the FSB / RAM, and to change the variables in the BIOS to find the sweet spot, that gives continued stability, PLUS an additional %age increase in throughput..............

If the above reads like twaddle, then you should DEFINATELY NOT overclock

Do some research.
    For your next post [?] give more [some] details.

ie - with regard to the above :

it WOULD have been more helpful to have added :

PC specs
    Mo/Bo name - No - age
    CPU - speed - type - socket
    RAM - amount - type - make
    your own level of 'expertise'
    reasons for the request

This would have given us a better picture of you, and would have put more people into a frame of mind to help.

Better luck next time.

And welcome to AO

foxy report = D+ / must try harder
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

http://www.overclockers.com

I don't recommend it either, you can usually get much better performance improvements by increasing RAM and so on.

Actually, this is something I've been interested in learning too, but haven't asked yet, because of my lack of having a specific question just yet.

But now that's it brought up...

Where do you start with learning this? I suppose with learning to understand how voltages are managed in hardware? And is there a way to learn this without inevitably ruining your first few CPUs you try this on? It sounds nearly impossible to learn without screwing something up the first time or two...

The Book of Overclocking: Tweak Your PC to Unleash Its Power

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Yes, the overclocking world has gone corporate.

There was another one called "the complete guide to overclocking" (or something similar)which had examples of how far you can overclock processors for a ton of processors.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Hi,

You will find that most modern MoBos and videocards come with overclocking software.

The secret is to start slowly and work your way up, checking stability as you go. Remember that you will have to beef up the cooling.

Personally I don't think that it is a very good idea, as it promotes instability and reduces component life.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    But now that's it brought up...

Where do you start with learning this?
    You could always do a basic course such as Comp TIA A+, to give you a grounding in hardware, then grab an old dog of a box, and make it FLYYYYY

Reading is probably going to be the method of choice, but I DO like to study in a structured setting.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

So how big an effect do you get from overclocking? Is it really noticable, or rather insignificant?

I do have some QUITE old CPUs lying around that aren't of that much use...perhaps I could breathe new life into them?

<edit> And yes, I indeed find myself doing a LOT of reading nowadays.

These days I guess you are looking at around 5%?

Boosting RAM from 128Mb to 512Mb could give you as much as 35%, going from WinME to XP (on the right box) could be 20%

I guess it all depends on what you do, but I don't think that processor speeds are as important these days, certainly for ordinary desktops.