Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best motherboard brand?

Question Best motherboard brand?

I'm going to be building a couple of computers in the next couple of weeks. And I was wondering what brand motherboard I should buy (for a Pentium 4). I want a really good one that lasts long and isn't way to expensive. So does anyone here have any recommendations on what brand is better than the other. Asus, gigabyte, intel, abit, soyo, msi??????

AO French Antique News Whore
    Msi, Asus are the best follow by Gigabyte.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

alright cool, thanks for the information

They vary, because manufacturers produce for different requirements and price ranges.

I would recommend that you steer clear of cheap brands like PC-Chips.

I would also avoid on board video (sound is OK)

It all really depends on what you intend to use the computers for.

For example, if I was building a small office machine I would probably go for RAID1, but I would not really need masses of blisteringly fast memory, a mega video card or anything like that because office applications don't need them.

Gaming and graphics intensive applications are another story.

Personally I have always been satisfied with GigaByte.

The secret is to balance your components to suit your intended usage and budget You can always add an extra hard drive and more RAM, but upgrading a video card usually means you end up throwing the old one away.

I dont pretend to know what your doing with those pc's.

But if I were you I would be looking for a pc with an nforce chipset. And yeah, gigabity has yet to fail me.

Onboard sound these day's is of more than decent quality if you ask me. And the onboard graphics are a bit "meh". Have fun assembling.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

I have always been pretty happy with Asus motherboards; however, I just purchased their A8V-E delux when I upgraded by PC and I am less than thrilled with the KT800 (Sp?) chipset...why on god's earth they switched away from Nvidia is beyond me...

Anyway, I guess the biggest thing that annoys me about the new mb is the onboard sound (the old asus I had was based off of nforce2 chipset), its worthless. Most of the other stuff I am fairly happy with (gig lan, wireless g, sata raid, etc).

I would recommend that you stay away from onboard video, unless you plan on just surfing the web and doing spreadsheets (ie, gaming would be problematic at best).
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Most of the popular brands are about the same quality wise, just choose what you find that best suits your needs and your price range.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Very satisfied with GigaByte, scared of SOYO. Too many bad memories.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Alright thank you all for you replies. That's what I was thinking on buy, either a gigabyte or a asus motherboard. I was thinking of getting this nice, good price Asus http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...MP=OTC-B1zrat3
    or this nice gigabyte motherboard http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...MP=OTC-B1zrat3

Hi,

For only 9 bucks more the GigaByte would have it for me as it supports, SATA, RAID and dualchannel RAM.

My point is it seems to have a better upgrade path that the Asus bosrd.