Thread: Cells and wireless GPS

Cells and wireless GPS

I am trying to hook my cell up to my laptop so i can get GPS on Network Stumbler and don't know how to go about doing this?
    --Alchemist--

does your cellphone act as a GPS ordinarily? what kind of laptop is it? What kind of cell phone do you have? what kind of laptop do you have? where did you see that you could use your cellphone as a GPS device for your laptop?
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

GPS is an option in the program Network Stumbler, my friends said his dad uses his cell for GPS and said there was a way to hook my phone my laptop which is a medion laptop running windows xp and linux SuSE. I have a samsung x427m cell phone. And it has a GPS option on it as well.
    --Alchemist--

GPS is an option in the program Network Stumbler, my friends said his dad uses his cell for GPS and said there was a way to hook my phone my laptop which is a medion laptop running windows xp and linux SuSE. I have a samsung x427m cell phone. And it has a GPS option on it as well.
    Is there such thing as a PCMCIA GPS card?
    --Alchemist--

some phones can be used as GPS. But unless you can find an adapter to hook your phone up to your computer, and software to use the data provided by your phone to translate it for netstubler to nderstand then it wont work. There are many usb devices for computer. The ones I have seen are USB not pcmcia, through im sure there are ones available. The ones I have seen range in price, the cheapest was about 40 bucks IIRC.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

The best thing to do is go to your service providers web site and see if they offer software to access your phone. Although GPS on cell phones is SLOWWW. Especially when it's moving. The things just aren't powerful enough, you have to stand still and wait wait wait wait wait. The good thing is, the "powers that be" are constantly upgrading their GPS timing modules. In the mean time check your providers web site were you could find software and a datalink cable that they support. Linux is a different story, you would have to rely on finding some open source project that supports data transfer from cell devices.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

OR........... for 100 bucks you can pickup a lil GPS unit that connects to your pc like the one microsoft makes
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1089242418928

there is a lil clicky for you to check it out. They work pretty well, you can connect it to your laptop and it *SHOULD* be compatible for you
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here