the sleep command

Thread: the sleep command

the sleep command

in SusE linux 9.0 i discovered the sleep command and i read the info file but couldn't realy tell it's purpose, does anyone kno of how to use the sleep command?

The wait command man page simply states that it pauses script execution until a specified process ID completes. The man page for the sleep command is a single line stating that it causes a script to pause for specified period of time.
    This article explains it so you can get a grasp on it

Here are some others from the "Cli Series" that might be of interest to you

Just Another Geek
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    I use it sometimes inside scripts. Sometimes I need to kill a process then restart it. If you script that, the killing might not be finished before it restarts the process. So you put a sleep between them to give the system some time to kill te process.

killall pptp
    sleep 3
    pptp adsl &
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

The sleep command is used to suspend the execution of a shell script for the specified time. This is usually in seconds.

\"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster