Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How To Avoid Flaming in a Thread - REVISITED

So the next thread should be "How to Win at Flaming".

Suggested writer: Negative.
    just make sure that you include:

1) use as many numbers instead of letters as possible. it even better when you can replace whole words with numbers as seen here

HOW-2-AVOID-FLAMES-IN-A-THREAD
    see how he used "2" instead of "to" its a bit sneaky, and makes you look both incredibly cool AND intelligent.

and also

2) rotate upper and lower case letters as much as possible. dont forget, number count as upper case letter boys and girls.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

While I was away and browsing threads, old threads, I stumble 1 Tech Humor posted by MsM

Source - http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ht=member+list

In another forum I post on, a user was asking for a Code of Ethics to be implemented on the forum. Which of course is an impossibility. It just ain't going to happen. As I got into the discussion and pined for the good ol' days of newsgroups and thoughful discussions, another poster put up the following two links. Even though they are rather dated, I do believe they still hold some validity today.
    - I laught at it, but then again it got me thinking.

What was you reasoning behind this post? i.e. What did you hope to achieve?
    - Just as I expected it will attract flames and such, I just attempted to achieve something like if someone could atleast take it seriously, some did, some did not. And thanks for not NEGGING. Just curious what if's and what not. The replies really beat the hell out of my idea. Just paranoid sometime how an important topic being flamed because of one mistake or two. *For the reactions, there are good calls and bad calls, common sense and non-sense, who decides? Ourselves. Sometimes ideas brought up (again) like this, separates people from who's who. Still personal opinion.

Anyway, after reading some Flame Form - http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/humour/U...flame_form.txt - a GOOD laught will do.

Thanks for all the replies!

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by scratchONtheBOX
    And thanks for not NEGGING
    I have stopped negging Grumps only from now on
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

There is a big difference between a Flame, a well worded "please explain your request", "I disagree with your View" and purely argumentive posts

Inflammatory posts "Flames" can be of the disciplinary type, purely argumenitive (have no real community value or value to the thread), or misinterpreted.

unfortunately, we all being Human or built by humans, we the latter will constantly be a problem. The act of putting up a post either as a topic starter, or as reply, your open to the interpretation of the reader. And why is this problem so bad?.. we have a Quad-P Population (Pre-Post-Present Pubescent) and well as a fair (or is that unfair) group from the terminaly grey. We have people who are patient and those that are extreemly impatient.. We have delegates from each of the main personality types, and as the mix is volitile at the best, flames will abound..
    Oh then we do have just plain old AH's who get their jollies out of droping into a thread and calling everyone an id-10-t or just plain shitting on them .

So if you dont want to be flamed ..DONT POST., or at least wait untill everyone is high on weed and are very agreeable.. or:
    If you ask a question..Take some time in writing it up.. have a friend read it for you before you submitt it.. if they cant understand what it says.. you will have no hope here..
    If your native language is not english..sorry guys.. some of us are understanding of grammer problems. but some times we are tired and double translation is not some thing we want to do.
    Take the time to be Technicly correct .. if you don't know what a MB or a RAM is, or the difference between a HDD and a system case.. you may need to spend more time learning the BASICS of pc's and then worry about the complexities of security.
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Undie, you're thinking about this WAY too much.

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    There is a big difference between a Flame, a well worded "please explain your request", "I disagree with your View" and purely argumentive posts

Inflammatory posts "Flames" can be of the disciplinary type, purely argumenitive (have no real community value or value to the thread), or misinterpreted.

unfortunately, we all being Human or built by humans, we the latter will constantly be a problem. The act of putting up a post either as a topic starter, or as reply, your open to the interpretation of the reader. And why is this problem so bad?.. we have a Quad-P Population (Pre-Post-Present Pubescent) and well as a fair (or is that unfair) group from the terminaly grey. We have people who are patient and those that are extreemly impatient.. We have delegates from each of the main personality types, and as the mix is volitile at the best, flames will abound..
    Oh then we do have just plain old AH's who get their jollies out of droping into a thread and calling everyone an id-10-t or just plain shitting on them .

So if you dont want to be flamed ..DONT POST., or at least wait untill everyone is high on weed and are very agreeable.. or:
    If you ask a question..Take some time in writing it up.. have a friend read it for you before you submitt it.. if they cant understand what it says.. you will have no hope here..
    If your native language is not english..sorry guys.. some of us are understanding of grammer problems. but some times we are tired and double translation is not some thing we want to do.
    Take the time to be Technicly correct .. if you don't know what a MB or a RAM is, or the difference between a HDD and a system case.. you may need to spend more time learning the BASICS of pc's and then worry about the complexities of security.
    Screw you your dumb I hate you shutup!!! You are an idiot and know nothing!!!!

That is a flame.

Sorry but your an idiot because of blah blah blah I disagree with you on seventy points blah blah blah...

That is a good argument..

Sorry undies thought I'd clarify those for people who didn't feel like reading your post
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Sorry but your an idiot because of blah blah blah I disagree with you on seventy points blah blah blah...
    Close, but I gotta disagree. It's still a flame. Leave the 'you're an idiot' out of it and you're on the right track - flames get personal whereas the arguing of points don't.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Close, but I gotta disagree. It's still a flame. Leave the 'you're an idiot' out of it and you're on the right track - flames get personal whereas the arguing of points don't.
    perhaps the key is a good combination of insult and valid arguments. lol
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Originally posted [by XTC46
    perhaps the key is a good combination of insult and valid arguments. lol
    Might I suggest a lesson or two from the immortal "Argument Clinic"??

A: Come in.
    M: Ah, Is this the right room for an argument?
    A: I told you once.
    M: No you haven't.
    A: Yes I have.
    M: When?
    A: Just now.
    M: No you didn't.
    A: Yes I did.
    M: You didn't
    A: I did!
    M: You didn't!
    A: I'm telling you I did!
    M: You did not!!
    A: Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
    M: Oh, just the five minutes.
    A: Ah, thank you. Anyway, I did.
    M: You most certainly did not.
    A: Look, let's get this thing clear; I quite definitely told you.
    M: No you did not.
    M: No you didn't.

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"