Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding Rare, Old Hardware

Here ya go, this is the connecting cable in question:

By the way, you can see the tear right smack in the middle of the second picture.

HDD is a Toshiba. Not sure the model, but it has these numbers on it if it tells you anything (sure as heck is greek to me):

HDD2912
    MK3205MAV

It has 3235MB.

The Plug in Question Is a MINI-IDE// you can buy adaptors to adapt the HDD to a standard IDE.. complete with power plug

the cable is a metalised plastic ,, forget Solder... replacement is the only reliable option..

in your case.. you may be able to make one useing IDC plugs and a length of cable..

BTW.. IDE is only 40 pins.. the extra 40 in the 80 core cables are for shielding..prevent crosstalk at the higher data speeds..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Awesome. So where can I find one of these adaptors? Will that be all I need? I'm googling about but not finding much...

<edit>Would something like this help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&rd=1&tc=photo

Is that even the right number of pins? It's kinda hard to tell from the pic...
    </edit>

Angelic: I might have what you need at home. My roommate has a laptop that makes an arching noise (think welding) when started. I believe that when we took it apart it had just about the same cable. I will check tonight since its just collecting dust in our office. I do know that it had a Toshiba drive, so it could be a similar cable.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Awesome! That'd be great!

my goodness what a retarded comment from me.
    .the cable is a metalised plastic ,,
    but for anyone who has had to work with this "stuff" will refer to it as **** wire.. with the right type of solder and a low temp iron it is possable to repair..but it is brittle and easy to break..

seeing as a possable solution in a likley replacement is at hand we won't have to resort to this method of repair..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

BTW.. IDE is only 40 pins.. the extra 40 in the 80 core cables are for shielding..prevent crosstalk at the higher data speeds..

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to mention this fact. Try explaining this to someone who is convinced by what they have read in their TigerDirect Catalog and has never actually looked at one.

Und3ertak3r, I would have greened you for your post but I need to spread my antipoints around first.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Sorry Angelic, it looks like a different cable. (Just opened it this weekend)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)