Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WTF Happened to AIM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Nihil: No. Catch, chsh and Juridan are 3 seperate individuals.

I don't see the justification to move to IRC or other IM as valid since they also use clear-text and since they may also have suspect types viewing their server information (moreso on IRC servers since they aren't necessarily run by "ethical people" and would more likely violate your privacy on whims).

IMO, it's not the protocol or the server that is questionable but rather the person at the other end. I have no way to verify that the person is going to keep the conversation private nor do I know that it is in fact them. For my personal purposes I use Secway with my MSN, which when talking with friends I can verify it's them through a PKI setup and ensure encryption (AES-128/RSA-2048) to the server in question.

Lastly, last time I checked security involved CIA (Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability). If a hardware failure occurs or some other system outage, I'd believe it would involve availability of the CIA.

But that's my point of view.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ninja Code Monkey
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Oh great................the mighty Juridian has pontificated...................understand his words you mighty and despair..............

Your opinion of others' intelligences are probably irrelevant to most members...............certainly to the cognoscenti...............

So where is CHSH now that I have challenged?..............and who gave you all those points?............I guess there are one or two alliances that have not been weeded out?

What have you actually achieved in your life so far?

Actually, I wasn't insulting his intelligence...I just said that reply was dumb. It turns out we were just talking about two different things as you could have found out if you had read further (or maybe your comprehension is off?).

I go the points from gore, sec_ware, and guardian alpha himself. We discussed things, found our communications problem, and both look forward to further discussions.

nihil, you can look for conspiracy all you like, but as with most things the simplest explanation is the best and most likely. You're just a turd.

I tend to agree with MsMittens on the hardware failure/availability part. My guess on the AIM outage really does fall down to either planned maintenance, emergency maintenance or hardware failure such as a critical router suddenly going bad (happens all the time).

Who knows, it may have been hacked and it took them the 30 mins or so to swap over to a back up environment or take action with whatever incident handling procedures they have set up. I just think it is less likely.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Ninja Code Monkey
    Originally posted here by gore
    Na, Catch isn't at a college, Chsh is in Canada, and Juridian is .... I don't know never asked him. But all of them get reamed for attitudes even though they are one of the first people asked when something happens and someone needs help.

-Loving BOFH.
    Just check the profile...hehe. =)
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    Blog of X

Personally, I think AOL is junk in every aspect. I remember when ICQ was very handy, usefull, and enjoyable. Once AOL took it over I refused to even have it installed on my box. The only reason I even have AIM is to talk to people less fortunate than me who have to use AOL as their ISP, and because it does have its slight advantages.
    I can remember in 2000 on july 4th, there was a list of 300 email servers, but thats a different story to tell.
    Point being, AOL sucks.

As a follow-up to my link on page one...more news about AIM and AOL...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775649,00.asp
    AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows

still no word on what happened.

Ninja Code Monkey
    Since they claim all rights to it, I wonder how that holds for their legal responsibility for it? So the next time someone tries to sue them over what their users are doing, are they now accountable?
    Blog of X