Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Happened to AIM

WTF Happened to AIM

Did they get hacked ? If you find a news article, please post it im curious, nobody could sign in for like 30 or more minutes tonight.....
    O.G at A.O

Yea, it was weird, the only people who weren't kicked off were on Mobile phones. I was talking to Jehn from here on AO and he said he heard something about a DDOS or something. I don't have anything like links though to confirm it and since it just now happened I don't think there are any yet.

It's sort of funny, my buddy list is gone except for him lol. Ah well, ex GF was hassling me anyway.

Yeah, I went down too, and trillian really wigged out for a while. The buddy list wouldn't show up on Trillian, but GAIM picked it up just fine. Now Trillian's back to normal. However, I'm having problems with ICQ as well...

My AIM booted me and I couldnt log back in for maybe 10 minutes, but all is good now.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Yeah my buddy list was gone too, i just loaded the saved one i had.....
    O.G at A.O

Nothing here yet...

http://www.runabot.com/aimnews/
    Aim Expressions and AIM hacks at AIMnews.com

I don't understand the drive people have to use a means of communication that goes directly through an 'evil' companies servers for violation checking, logging, and similar. It isn't even encrypted unless you enable 3rd party encryption programs that will only ever work with other 3rd party encryption programs. Hell, not even gaim encryption is compatible with trillian encryption.

So, what's the point? Why not go to IRC, SILC, or some protocol that runs through a server you can trust?
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

So, what's the point? Why not go to IRC, SILC, or some protocol that runs through a server you can trust?
    Because most of our friends, I suspect, are not IT, security minded, or AOL haters to any real degree, so if we switched to IRC, we would be doing so alone. I know personally, that vast majority of my friends are on AIM, so that's what I'm "stuck" with, else my other option is to upgrade to new friends.

So my question still remains. Just because it is easier, do you trust AOL and Yahoo enough to use such an untrustworthy protocol? I wouldn't. I would do the honor of showing my friends how simple Xchat for windows/linux was, and direct them to a friendly and trustworthy server.

One of the huge losses of personal privacy is because people feel the better solution is too difficult. Well, IRC is a peice of cake and setting up your own IRC server is just as simple. Create your own IRC server or join one you trust, and invite your friends. They get away from a protocol that may endanger them (fraud, spam, exploits based on a closed source protocol, continual battling between the official client and 3rd party workarounds) and you get to go on a protocol more flexible to your security minded self.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

One of the huge losses of personal privacy is because people feel the better solution is too difficult.
    An excellent point, and one we should continually endeavor to counteract.

Geez, you just totally shot down my point.