The sky is falling!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The sky is falling!!!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

The sky is falling!!!

I debated whether this should be here or phishing but I figured this would be more apropos. It's interesting that recently TheHorse13 did an article on our "addiction to security products" and my last article got me some laments about FUDing. What's bothersome is that this is the environment we're living in. Particularly as a post-911 effect. The US gov't, IMO, pushing FUDing to the nth degree (what's today's color anyways?) and it's becoming quite commonplace.

I also know that people won't do anything unless they truly believe that they have something to lose (whether this is a sane belief or not is debatable). So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to receive the "spam" below in my mailbox this morning (an ultimate example of FUDing at it's finest). I'm so tempted to buy it just to see what it is he's yapping about (tin foil hats and all).

Is your family prepared for the next terrorist attack?

A personal and true story.

My 3 daughters had just left to go shopping and their plans where to go to several shopping malls, all with hundreds of stores and thousands of people collecting to do much the same thing, spend money. This was shortly after the 9-11 Terrorist Attack. I knew which shopping centers they where going to and when to expect them back, I thought everything would be fine.

Shortly after they were gone the local cable company conducted what I thought was a mandatory "Test Alert", you know the one, first the long beep sound followed by directions as where to turn for more information.

All of a sudden there was a real announcement to turn to a specific channel to learn about the "Disaster/Problem!"

All counties in the state where under a TERRORIST ALERT and that we should all seek shelter and stay tuned to this station for more information. Which did not come.

How do you think I felt? How would you feel?

Sheer panic! My thoughts were "How do I find my children?" "What kind of terror attack was this?"

I needed more information. But now was not the time to try to get prepared "It Was Happening NOW".

I needed to be prepared, and I had to find my kids!

Literally, I could get no information. None of the cable or radio stations had information.

Would you like to know what happened?

After thousands of people like me called 911, radio stations, TV stations only to be told they did not know what we were talking about! More panic, why did they alert everyone to a "Disaster" and tell everyone it was "State wide" after about 30 minutes the cable company finally announced for all the world (at least the small part of the world where I lived in) what the problem was.

Someone had punched the wrong button and the wrong tape was played for viewers to see!

There was no disaster or terror alert! It was a simple monthly test of the warning system that had gone bad!

But what if it had been real?

My fears were real. My frustrations were real. My feeling of ineptness was real.

Not again though.

My family and I are now as prepared as you can get, we have a plan to deal with issues that can occur at anytime anywhere. I recommend you follow my lead and do the same!

Available for a limited time at: http://www.familylifeusa.com/

How to Prepare Your Families for Terrorism: A step-by-step guide to creating a terrorism preparation plan for your family.

Dr. Bryan Post has taken the time to help you and your family to be prepared against the act of terrorism he has created an e-book telling you all you need to know about how to equip yourself and your family incase of an act of terrorism or an emergency.

This book can help.

Visit http://www.familylifeusa.com/ to order your copy and obtain a downloadable copy of "How To Prepare Your Families For Terrorism"

Join me and be prepared... Don't go through terror we went through "when we did not have a plan", now my family is ready for an emergency we all know what to do, who to contact, it helped us get organized should there be a next time!

Sincerely Yours,

Family Life USA Staff Member (father of 3)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

"Stop, drop and cover"
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

The questions in the "quiz" are good, not just for terrorist attacks, but any sort of disaster, period.

I think we can respect this "paranoia", as we're just as paranoid within the online realm, as I'm sure most here can agree. We always err on the side of caution and overprotection rather than naivity.

So, they're not that much different.

However, I don't like how gimmicky this particular website looks. It's written in the typical sensational (rather than informative) manner. This book will be the most important book ever! It'll change your life! Protect your family with this book! C'mon...Just shuttup and inform people, that's what should be happening.

I cant understand why a country so rich like USA continue to create a paranoia on its citizens.
    Maybe because they dont have big issues to think about and start to "create" new ones.
    I suggest for most of that guys to move here and live on a place that threats ARE real.

May be some Ads like:
    You want to live in a Real Dangerous?
    Quite USA.
    Come to Brazil.
    You can feel REAL threats like:

Tropical diseases
    Flood
    Bad Medical care
    Car, train or even Plain crashs everday!
    You can be shooted at streets (on foot or in your car, you choose) at least Once a week!

Or you can try our eXtreme Package:

You will receive a house on the Hills at Rio de Janeiro!
    Live among Drug Dealers!
    See a real combat between Police Officers with .38 guns and Drug Dealers with Machine Guns and Granades!

Blood Spills on your Windows GARANTEED!
    And There is more!
    If you call the number that appears on your TV screen RIGHT NOW you will receive:

A free tour to Rain Forest! Go there and die on Big Forest Burns.
    Maybe we can make some money here.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

You can be shooted at streets
    That has got to be the best grammatical error I've seen in a while! No, don't let me be shooted!

Ha ha, just picking on you caco.

While I think some of our post-911 security mindedness is very wise, I also think you make a very good point there showing how we take a lot of our safety and luxury for granted. I'd imagine Brazil is FAR from ever worrying about what color their terror alert is huh?

I'd imagine Brazil is FAR from ever worrying about what color their terror alert is huh?
    If we have a law like yours about "using TV broadcast to broadcast warnings" we could never
    watch anything on TV Got the picture?
    That has got to be the best grammatical error I've seen in a while! No, don't let me be shooted!
    Hey! Im just a poor pablito that cant barely write in English!

BTW, i dont know what is wrong with that sentence' grammar . For me, when someone fire at you, you are been shooted, arent you?. Bah, i wont never learn English :P
    Meu sítio

It's ok, actually you're English is darn good for someone who's not too fluent in it. There are AMERICANS over here who can't write that well!

But, the proper past tense is "shot". You'd be shot at.

Most of us are still learning English too anyway.

I find it laughable that we even have a public terror alert - how much longer will the public allow the government to take the piss out of their intelligence (or lack of)

If there were a real terrorist threat is it likely that we would utilize a public alert system.

If terrorists can plan and execute an attack like 9-11 is it likely that they would even think about attacking when the nation is on high alert?

My advise would be - don't buy it ........ haha
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

But, the proper past tense is "shot". You'd be shot at.
    No, if it were myself or several others here, just "past tense"

Hey, cacosapo

Hey! Im just a poor pablito that cant barely write in English!
    ..............hah!...........so that explains why the bank never honours the cheques (checks)

Don't worry, I am learning to drink port..............then you won't need Ingles?

..............hah!...........so that explains why the bank never honours the cheques (checks)
    eh eh. Its good to be a pablito. We buy but dont pay and we steal American Jobs too :P
    Don't worry, I am learning to drink port..............then you won't need Ingles?
    drink? man, this is the country of alcohool.

Cold Beer, hot chicks (however if you ask for a warm beer, you can be shot)

Come here and enter on the Paradise
    Meu sítio