Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sam/lc5 question

ok im sorry I'll try again. when i right click in cain and select the admin account to brute force is says 2 hashes loaded for that one password. which corresponds with you saying that there are two 7 character parts to it. My question was I am already bruteforcing in the 8 range XXXXXXXX. But since it is two sevens should I stop it and change the min and max characters both to seven because once I got the first seven I stopped it and moved it up to 8. I was thinking to crack the whole password since there are apparently 14 character i need to move it up to 14. But if it is two differant hashes I should put it back down to seven right? And also what if it is only 8 or 9 character. I'm sorry if this isn't making sense Im just a little confused.

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I'm no expert on L0phtcrack, but I would think if you have the LM hashes the longest string you wouldever want to brute with is 7. What character set are you using?

I'm using all leters and numbers but that is it. the first part contained only letters and numbers and im assuming so does the second but i brute forced from 1 character up to 7 again and i stillhave 7 question marks. what would happen if they are null. just place holders. would it still have question marks?

k so the first half was we3king
    and the second half was s
    so the full password was we3kings
    how come the bruteforce didnt pick it up
    when I bruteforced the second half even with
    the letter s?

One more thing in the pwdump file i have there is a domain and hashes for that as well.
    what exactly is that? another password?

~ |)ark$ynta>< ~

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Sorry, I don't know.

Alright if I find anything useful out I'll let everyone know.