Thread: Help..Freeze the Laptop :)

Help..Freeze the Laptop :)

I have Ibm thinkpad R32 Pentium 4M,80GB,768MB and it's been two days..my laptop just "sleep" black screen,no logo IBM everytime I turn on my laptop . This is not good at all for me because I am using that laptop as my workstation everyday.

Aparently the problem is "overcharged capacitor" mostly on IBM thinkpad.

So far this is what I've done:

1. Take out the battery and hold the power button down for at least 90 seconds..turn it on and it's worked but only max 1 hour and then back to freeze/black screen.

2. I decided to cool my ThinkPad R32 in my refrigerator/freezer (I've read this somewhere and my best friend have same prob with her nokia cellphone and she put that battery in freezer overnight ) for a couple of 2 hours no joke!! and I turn it on..it is worked but only max 2 hours.

So I need help from expert here (anyone work for IBM??), before I splash out some money to fix this laptop...or otherwise I have to buy a new laptop.

Anyone have similar prob..and have solved the problem (by yourself)...please share with me..

Cheers
    Not an image or image does not exist!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Aparently the problem is "overcharged capacitor"
    Where did you get this 'advice' from ?

How old is the pad ?
    How often is it used ?
    How 'heavy' is the usage ?
    Has it been abused / dropped ?
    Are you the only user ?
    If NOT, are you present when it is in use by others ?

My thoughts at the present are towards the old fashioned worn out, as in your post I get the impression that it is used heavily AND often ............

But just to assuage the 'spydoctors' on site :

please list your security routine ?
    Anti-Virus Y / N
    AdAware Y / N
    SpyBot Y /N
    Fire Wall Y /N
    Schedule of checks, what done / when ?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi,

I've got that advise from one of my friend who used to have same prob and she contacted Ibm that time..aparently ibm thinkpad hibernation glitch . And she fixed it using one of those method.

I've been using this pad almost two years old (gift from my dad..so I dunno how old is..).

And yes I've been using it every time (heavily) and never have problem before ..in two years time.

Yes I am the only one who used this pad and never been dropped.

Btw I used OpenBSD 3.3 (almost 2 years now running OpenBSD) on this laptop so ..I am not running any antivirus and yes I have firewall/pf

I don't think got something to do with Operating System..I am sure maybe hardware prob.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I would never advise FREEZING a battery, just the fridge to cool it

Is your friend local ?
    Did they cure their fault ?
    Did they replace anything [battery] ?

Do you have access to any test meters ? [DMM]

To check a battery, remove from unit.
    set DMM [Digital Multi Meter] to volts DC.
    touch one lead to each contact on battery.
    What is the reading ?

If the battery is rated as 12v DC.
    And you read 12.0 upwards, then the battery is fine. [even when flat, the VOLTAGE will be all present and correct]
    If the reading is 11.9 v DC downwards, then the battery is shot.

I'm not saying the battery IS the problem, just trying to eliminate some items from the check list.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I'm not saying the battery IS the problem, just trying to eliminate some items from the check list.
    I have dents in my ceiling from over charged capacitors... the little buggers explode or piss out when they are over charged..
    If the main battery is over charged cooling may settle it down.. but the cause is still there.. the charge controller is stuffed.. how do you know the battery is getting over charged..IT GETS BLOODY HOT.. serious.. very warm is a charged battery.

It is possable that the CMOS battery is stuffed.. this will cause the machine to not start or give unreliable operation..

You could also have something dislodged inside.. a memory module, a drive bay device.. cdrom, etc.. interconnecting cable..
    is it possable that a connected device ie USB peripherial isnt causing a problem.. ie you have disconnected ALL external devices..

I love the so called electronic experts dont even know what a Capacitor, diode, transistor or resistor even looks like let alone know what they do or how they are used.. and yet they will blame the same for all manor of problems..

when Im in a pissy mood at work, and some know-it-all comes in spewing their knowledge..I invite them into my workshop to give me advice on a problem.. they turn bright red and clam up when they get an idea of who they are talking to.. you can always tell knowledge from BS.. the knowledge ppl I pale against them..

"Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Well I wouldn't call myself a laptop expert but I would try a few tests..............

1. Will it run direct from the mains without the battery connected? If so how long will it run like this for? Please remember that batteries don't last forever.

2. Does it maintain the correct date and time when it has been turned off for a while? (CMOS battery)

3. Try turning OFF all the power saving options in the BIOS...............does that fix the problem?

4. Does the battery charge up and is it charged when the box freezes (could be the mains bypass or charging mechanism are screwed up)