Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network has gone nuts!

First off, to be completely clear, NetBios over TCP/IP is activated... How do I check that 137-139 (UDP and TCP) is allowed??

Just to make sure: NetBIOS over TCP/IP is activated and 137-139 (UDP and TCP, both
    for simplicity) is allowed (on the local subnet)?
    I cannot ping either machine from either machine... erm

The packets I am refering to is seen when you open the network properties and view the connection status.

I made the Registry changes suggested and now the Computer Browser Service on box 2 fails with a Server Specific Error 2550.

When I try the command below on box 1 I get the following error.

Code:
    > net use z: \\192.168.0.5\c$ /user:administrator

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Have you done a virus scan on both boxes? Seems odd that right after connecting an outside box that both of the others died. Sounds like you might have propogated a virus to them. I had a problem with a network that sounds very similar to what you're describing and it was the klez virus. Might want to get a bartPE disc with an updated virus scanner and check those two machines out.

AOs Resident Troll
    Some thoughts

I just had a problem with an xp network with a 98 box and these are some of the things I did to fix...

can you ping 127.0.0.01 on the boxes...???

Try and uninstall tcp\ip and reinstall\reconfigure.

Make sure both machines are in the same workgroup??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I am definately getting closer. I downloaded updated nic drivers for box 1 and 2 and installed them. I can now transfer files between the two computers. The Browser Master Wars have ended with box 1 victorious. I am now haveing problems getting box 2 to connect to the internet through box 1's dialup connection, I can ping box 1 but cannot get past it at all. Have any ideas what may cause this problem, I have been at this since 5:00 CST yesterday. I am about ready to pass out but I really need to get the connection re-established so I can update the new install on box 2.

AOs Resident Troll
    maybe its a permssions thing...is the user of box 2 added to the local users of box 1

You said it was a new install...maybe just remove the user and then add again?

MLF

edit>

found this...refers to xp...but then references windows computers in the article has more links too

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310651

I am not sure... I have created users and permissions, I can access shares on both computers, so I don't think thats it. I have even run programs over the network. I just can't seem to connect to the internet.

Sorry, morganlefay the link you provided doesn't work.

found this...refers to xp...but then references windows computers in the article has more links too

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310651

AOs Resident Troll

Ok... I have configured ICS exactly as Microsoft instructs. I have done evrything I can think of to get box 2 to connect to the internet through box 1. I have even installed an Intel Pro100s Server Adaptor NIC in box 2, then again in box one. Still no internet... I have uninstalled TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing on both boxes and re enabled. I have tried different LAN cables and changed out my switch with another. I have installed new drivers and visited windows update on box 1 (I can't on box 2) any hotfixes that I could find to download for installation in box 2 has been done.

Help me please

[shadow]UPDATE![/shadow]

You would never guess in a million years how I got this mess fixed

Ahh, ok I'll tell ya...

As you know I was getting the 2 boxes to share files and run programs over the LAN connection, and for some unforseen reason ICS refused to work after all of my efforts and all the threatening gestures I made towards these two while brandishing a screwdriver very menacingly. My eyes were watering and burning from all of the reading I was forced into, still to absolutely no avail. I finally went into the Help applet that I very seldom ever look at and I was slapped in the face by something so stupid and redundant that if anyone would have suggested this to me I would have laughed them right outa the country. I configured Box 1 to accept incoming VPN connections and in turn configured box 2 to create a VPN tunnel through my LAN connection with a different IP Address in the same pool as the LAN. By unchecking the option to use the default gateway on a remote network I in essance created a dual duplex connection that finally allows me to connect to the Internet. I am writing this post from Box 2!!

I am curious about your opinions of how I dumbshi**d my way into a reliable Internet connection.