A Challenge...

Thread: A Challenge...

Arrow A Challenge...

Hi everyone,

Recently, I stumbled upon a "suspicious" site that seemingly tried to download a file without my permission.

The browser I was using at the time was IE 6, and given that my security settings are rather tight, the operation was denied.

Being the curious mind that I am, I examined the source code of the page to see what this site was trying to do.

After an hour of examination, I couldn't find anything. I'm still puzzled as to what was triggering a file download.

I performed a full system scan for any nasty critters, yet nothing was found.

So, I was wondering if someone could please take a look at the questioned site (with caution of course)?

http://google-dance.miniunternehmen.de

What exactly was this site trying to do?

I can post the source code if needed.

Thank you for your help.

Good Morning,

google-dance.miniunternehmen.de = My Google – Dance - Machine

“Facilitates searching of all Google servers simultaneously. Includes additional options for German speakers. Requires frames”

You were down loading the “Google Dance Tool”

“The google dance tool is designed to help webmasters determing when the google dance has started and google is spidering the internet.”

No cloak and dagger on this one

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Every so often I come across sites that want to download or request you do other things like install extra plug-ins etc...or download a text document...or you get a pop-up regarding certificates...and I've always followed the same policy with those sites...

see-ya!

And I don't go back.

It doesn't matter to me if they're legit or not...if they want to do something and don't give me the required information I need to say OK, then my answer is always no.

EDIT...Good to know Relyt...if I ever get a website up and running. Still...the best policy is always to say no until you have the required information to say yes.
    As usual...I started this post when you weren't there and got in after you...

It might be a trojan or something. Your updated real-time AV should pick it up. If you don't have one, check CA is giving eTrust for 1 year free.

http://tinyurl.com/4k4op

Or you can google spyblaster and run it to keep your IE from auto loading spyware.

Or you could just stop using IE.

It might be a trojan or something.

D'ohhhh!!!

Googling, visiting the site, or reading the other posts first can be valuable. Might want to review Sick Dwarf's Tutorial Here:

The OP's link takes you directly to the download for the "Google Dance Tool"

From my post above:

google-dance.miniunternehmen.de = My Google – Dance - Machine

“Facilitates searching of all Google servers simultaneously. Includes additional options for German speakers. Requires frames”

You were down loading the “Google Dance Tool”

What Is A Google Dance?

The name "Google Dance" is often used to describe the index update of the Google search engine. Google's index update occurs on average once per month. It can be identified by significant movement in search results and especially by Google's cache of all indexed pages reflecting the status of Google's last spidering.
    What Is The Google Dance Tool?

The Google Dance Tool is provided as a tool to help you, the webmaster, determine when the Google search engine is spidering the internet. This is extremely useful if you want to know when your site(s) will rank in Google.

The name Google Dance is a term used to describe the index update of the Google search engine. By using the Google Dance Tool below, you can easily determine if Google has started their monthly spidering of the internet. Type in a keyword you would like to search for and choose some of Google's data centers to perform the search query on.
    cheers

Lightbulb Let there be some light!

Relyt,

The source you had presented really enlightened me a bit about how Google works. Actually I had read articles about Google using Linux BoXes to do the job of indexing and spidering but the whole idea I haven’t aimed to understand yet until now. Wow, a lot of important points had been answered going around in my mind. Although the info about this is abundant in the net, I had never crossed such detailed stuff.

Nice links.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Thanks Scratch,

Google is becoming so powerful/massive like the Borg; it kinda makes me wander who rules the Internet now, Man or Google?

cheers

********** |ceWriterguy
    hrm... /me smells a tutorial idea... 'how google works'
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I am actually testing the Google Dance in my website now!

I am actually testing the Google Dance in my website now!

So far, I like the script they put in, and the results are comprehensive, although gives some time-out-not-available page result to some servers due to HYPER-UPDATING and INDEXING happening actually every few seconds or minutes in their servers.

*Let's dance!

LoLz

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif