Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big help/advice needed (mobo trouble?)

Ah, I see, I thought it was booting but you just could not see the monitor.

Well no bleeps suggests it has probably not got through the extended memory test.

I think that your best bet is the motherboard support CD

jehnx,

read this and see if it applies...they do discuss some similiar symptoms...

Not unheard of!.. But before you trash it, you might try unhooking your HD.. Also might reset the system. Jumper or remove CMOS battery for, say 72 hours... have you checked the CMOS battery is OK? voltage etc.. How oild is the machine?
    Guess what!!!! BAD HARD DRIVE!!!, I before use 2 HD's to test it and still with the Lock light and did not know the HD's got bad but for the hell of it I used another HD because i wanted to format it for a another system which i had the case open from still working on it and notice when i booted it the light went off so in a quick moment i eject the boot disk and the old OS booted, The Problem sometimes seem so hard but it was the simplest thing,,,,,LOL just in case I took the 2 bad HD's and hooked them into a external USB case and ran a Software which does a dianostic and yes HD's NO Good,,,,I do not know how the HD's Got bad but what the hell the it VL400 Mobo working now!!!
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=786131
    business support forums - VL400 DT amber power light and lock light is on

AFLAAACKKK!!
    If your not even getting post beeps, then it sounds like a bad mobo or PSU...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

It's not the PSU, because I'm still getting power running through my mobo (drives are turning, my fan lights are coming on, etc.), but it could possibly be the mobo. I'm thinking it's either RAM or the motherboard, so this weekend I'm doing my final check, and I'm going to go out and get some new RAM to try out. If it works, I'll keep it, and if not I'll just take it back, and immediately call and freak out on ASUS.

jehnx: I have seen a couple of power supplies that gave out enough power to power drives, fans and everything to spin. (Except for the video card) I wouldnt rule out the power supply just yet.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It's brand new though.

I'll get another one of those, too, when I go this weekend to get the RAM, I suppose.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I’ve been here before. Hope everything works out.
    If it matters, first thing I do is take everything out of all the slots that are non-essentials. Just 1 stick of RAM placed in the slot nearest to the CPU. The video card (PCI) I place in the Bus Mastering slot (first or second slot under AGP) and that's it. If you're trying the AGP card take all PCI cards out. Just the other day I was switching out CPU's and Memory. Two boxes same Mobos, I placed a slower CPU in the box and experienced the same symptoms you had, no communications to the monitor (even placed in a OS install disc). Right about this time I'm livid, so I put back in the faster CPU, all good. I move on to my other box and go to upgrade the RAM, it's my Libranet box so I have one stick of 128ddr in the first slot closest to the CPU. I put two other sticks in 256/512. Mofo wouldn’t light up either. So I placed them in this sequence 512-256-128 everything worked. I uploaded a picture of the sequence maybe it could shed some light. http://img213.exs.cx/img213/8120/420soyo18ot.jpg

But I have a few questions. Did you take your entire Ram out when you went to test his RAM, or did you leave them in and assume you'd get the info from the memory check or my computer properties? When you went to place everything back, did you place them in their previous slots or random? Check the videocard fan.

I believe I've read all that was posted, if I overlooked sorry. Good luck.

Thanks for all of that, I'll definitely try that out in just a bit when I get back to my dorm.

As for your questions: I left my other (working) memory in there and just put this extra RAM piece in a third slot on my motherboard. I didn't change the order of my first two memories or anything, and as I've taken it all out, I put them in at the same order that I had them in the first place. But, I'm gonna try putting them in other random spots, too, to see if that helps.

Thanks again, and I'll update with any information.

I went and bought some new memory and tried it out, and that didn't work. I also tried every possible combination of my memory sticks to see if they'd work, and no luck there, either.

I know this is probably a question in vain, but does anyone have anymore suggestions?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Umm, you really should have waited before buying that ram, I could have told you that RAM was NOT the problem... It really sounds like a bad mobo if your certain your PSU is good, tell me, do you use the onboard VGA? If that's so then maybe that wen't wrong, and if it did you screwed anyway because if you try to put in a new vid card you have to go to cmos and change the settings, and you can't do that because you have no way to view the screen... which means you need a new mobo lol, unless someone else has a suggestion for this problem which I recently came accrossed trying to fix someone's PC... Now that's a run on sentence...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools