Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys AG241 probs

Linksys AG241 probs

Hi ,

Recently got an Linksys AG241 and it worked fine for a few days and after i reinstalled my Xp pro i thought it would be easy as pie to get on the internet again but nooo i started havin tons of probs, installed all my drivers network card etc etc

entered the ip addy of the box and it didnt come up page cant be displayed so i reset it and entered my isp info into it and saved worked fine but when i reboot my pc doesnt see it and doesnt connect to it either by typing the ip addy nor getting on the net

am i doing meant to do something else after i reinstall?

kinda confused sincce its the first time ive used gateways/routers

ive got my network card set to obtain an ip addt automatically & obtain dns server addy automatically,

thought xp would just pick it up after installing all my drivers and such but that dont seem to be the case

do i have to enter the info manaully into my TCp/IP properties like an ip addy/gatework and submask and dns server?

confused

AOs Resident Troll
    Can you ping the linksys??

Can you ping 127.0.0.1??

Check your cables?

Reset the router? (power of and on)

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

nope i cant ping the linksys just says unreachable
    i have to keep reseting it since it fails to work
    i reset it enter my isp info save settings connect for a while then if i reboot if just goes back to being a pain i.e cant ip address into it , internet stops working , so i reset it again
    and bascallu carrys on doing the same old over and over so i dont understand and when i load up my pc is goes slow when the linksys is on does that mean its accessing an ip addy for network card,

yep ive checked cables,workin fine got some new ones and they all same pefectly fine im thinkin my linksys might have gone faulty but im unsure

AOs Resident Troll
    When you configured your linksys..did you disable the dhcp?? You may have to use a static address to connect.

When you run ipconfig /all (run>cmd>ipconfig /all)

what do you get?

Have you tried a hard reset on the linksys?? and then reconfigure?

MLF

Whats an Hard Reset, ? Do u mean hold the reest button down for so long? or reset to factory settings?

Do u mean run ipconfig /all (run>cmd>ipconfig /all) after the linksys fails to connect?
    yes i disabled dhcp.. in my linksys settings i have 2 settings for dhcp one for lan and one for an server,should these be set to enabled or both or just one or set to dhcp delay?

AOs Resident Troll
    Well yes a factory reset..

you know what the ip address of your linksys is...now you have to set your xp nic address in the same range, subnet as your link sys...to connect seeing you disabled the dhcp.

If you have your nic to get an address automatically and you turned off your dhcp on the linksys LAN side...you cannot connect...cause your nic is not getting an address...from the linksys.

The dhcp setting on your LAN..will automatically give you an address from the router ..to connect through the router.

Either reset to the factory defaults or configure you nic to a static ip...
    and default gatewate (linksys address)
    eg
    linksys 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0
    XP NIC192.168.0.2 subnett 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.0.1 (linksys)
    DNS either the linksys or your isp dns..depending on how your setup your linksys

Maybe you should reset to factory defaults and start again.

MLF

ahh okay that explains why ive been having problems lol

for the dhcp ive got 2 settings

1-local DHCP server enable/disable
    2- Autodetect lan DHCP server settings enable/disable

at the moment ive only got 1 pc connected to the linksys since the others need to have windows installed on them so does that mean i have only to enable the local DHCP server for now and enanle the Auto Detect lan when i get more then one pc connected up to it?

Also can upnp be disabled on the linksys if i forward the ports manually?

AOs Resident Troll
    I think you should read the manual

Cause I am sure it is all in there.

Got to the linksys site and look up you model.

I do not know that exact model and depending on your internet connection and isp setting...will determine how you set it up.

Also...if it is wireless you may want to search this site on how to secure wireless connections etc

MLF

Well if it had an manual other then an quick install guide it would be useful but it dont so im outta luck on that one
    online shows the same thing just shows the quick install guide which dont really help since all it says is use the wizard to connect to yr isp and dont say nothing about any other settings

hence why im askin all these dumb questions lol if i had an manual it would be awesome but i dont,
    so could someone explain what the

1.local DHCP server enable/disable
    2- Autodetect lan DHCP enable/disable
    Does?

Try this:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/...U-UG%20web.pdf

You will need Adobe Acrobat reader