Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big help/advice needed (mobo trouble?)

Blast From the Past
    is it dual channel?

i had many weird problems with dual channel memory

they have to be the EXACT SAME STICK....or you will most likely get errors

even if it isnt dual channel id reccomend trying.....

my friend also had a problem with using registered ecc ddr ram....

lastly check to see if anything is shorted on the board.... extra screw spacers, screw that fell in the case while installing.... that can cause some nasty problems aswell

good luck
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

It was a dual-channel, yes, that I put in there.

I'll try you guys' stuff out tonight when I get back in. Thanks loads for all of your help!

I took the battery out and left it out for a day, and it still isn't working. I also unplugged the motherboard from the power supply for a day, and took out both of my previously-usable RAM chips for the whole day as well.

It's still not working. :-/

Anyone have any more ideas I could try?

I'll take another look around and see what I can dig up later on tonight when I've got more time...if there's anything else that might help please post it.

Maybe try taking out the motherboard and putting it back in. I've seen it a few times where that seemed to help although usually with power issues.

I didn't see it listed but you did try another monitor? Just to cover the basics.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Could it be the power supply is taking a crap? Try switching it with another one.

You have plugged the power cable into the video card correct? (if it needs a plug?)

Edit: Looking at sample images of both cards - does not look like ethier card needs a power plug.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Is the monitor cable hard wired, if not, try another one.

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Will it boot from the motherboard support CD?.............if so try repairing the BIOS from it.

You will probably have to check the MoBo manual to see how to reset the BIOS/CMOS, I believe it is one of those fancy ones where you don't have to open the case to reset the CMOS.

Also check the manual to see if there is a BIOS jumper?

I am not familiar with your exact MoBo but I have some Gigabyte ones that have strange BIOS recovery procedures.

Good luck!

The monitor cable is indeed hardwired, but it's not the monitor, as I've plugged it up to a laptop and another desktop, and it works fine.

And about botting into safe mode, I can't see my monitor, so I can't boot into safe mode, hehe.

I don't have the motherboard support CD onhand, but even if I did, I wouldn't be able to see what was going on on the screen, would I? I mean, the monitor isn't even recognizing a connection.

I've already reset the BIOS by taking the battery out for a day, and also by placing the jumpers to the "reset" switch.

Thanks for the help guys! Please let me know if you have any more ideas or comments.

This is what I am referring to:

The CrashFree BIOS 2 feature now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their system through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process.
    OK, I had to be sure that we had eliminated the video cable

You might try booting into safe mode just to see if anything happens?

Also, can you get into setup?

I mean, the monitor isn't even recognizing a connection.
    I suspect that the problem is the system is not recognising the monitor, as it works OK on other machines.

I will check out ASUS a bit more deeply, as it is possible that the more traditional approach doesn't work?

I'd love to try to get into safe mode mate, hehe, but I can't because I can't even see my monitor in order to get into it. I'm not even getting POST beeps at the startup.