Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with installing cooler

Help with installing cooler

I have a cumputer, with a stand up type cpu, its a Pentium II, I have no idea what the socket is. The problem I am haveing is trying to install a new cooler because the old cooler is too big and prevents any power supply from going in. It was cheaper for me to buy the smaller cooler then to buy a new case.

The smaller cooler will solve the problem of fitting in a power supply, however I need some kinda help with first removeing the old one and putting in the new one. I have seen turorials on this sort of thing for the socket 370 which is difernt cause it lays flat, this one stands up. Does anyone know of a site that might provide me with such a tutorial.

Ive been searching, but prob useing the wrong search terms, and the fact I dont know what the socket type is, also adds to my fusteration. Any guidence would be apreciated.

The coller is labled EVERCOOL II/S.E.C.C II, but the sales person told me it will work.
    The cpu is a Pentium II
    My Blog -> journy101.myblogsite.com/blog

Can you provide pictures so that we can see the inside of your computer? (And thus detirmine what the best course of action would be)

Does the fan look like this? (First set of pics on this page)

http://www.digital-daily.com/cooling...lers-2003q1-2/

or something like this? (Fan 2)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

The second link you gave is the one. I just managed to remove the cpu and cooler, but now to get this cooler off the cpu. Here is the picture you requested:

http://img134.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...=second4yp.jpg

UPDATE: Ok now i have removed the cooler from the cpu, and with the new cooler it came with some heatsink compound, so im guessing this is just as simple as putting the white stuff onto the cpu, there is a small blue square where the old heatsink was so im guessing that i cant put too much on?

Prob a silly question, but it looks like I am all done, however i did get alittle beside the CPU die, though it looks like there are conducting lines there but that it ap-ears to be insulated with a transparent coat of acrylic coating, so that little heat sink sould not make any difernce should it. If i used rubing alcohol to remove that area, would that mess up something.

right when I was going to help

I finally came across a thread where I can be of some assistance, but it looks like you've already fixed the problem. I've had a whole bunch of slot processors in the past and I know what you mean about trouble with heat sinks. I ended up just putting in a blowing right near my CPU to help cool it off a bit. Later while going through some of my friend's junk processors, I was able to find an extremely nice heat sink on one of his old slot A's. The thing to worry about is that sometimes they are kinda heavy and you'll end up with some chip creep. I've actually seen some of these processors actually glued into the board itself; either that or some type of tape.

warriorfan808

Should I be concerned with the little bit of heatsink compound that went beside the die? I tested the compound itself with my multimeter and it seems to not conduct electricity. But im still concerned, should I just go ahead and power the system, whats the worst that can happen with misplaced heat sink?

Edit: I also noticed that the lock on both sides of the slot, will not lock onto the heatsink since it seems to be not as wide. But I dont think it would fall out.

I have a cumputer, with a stand up type cpu, its a Pentium II, I have no idea what the socket is. The problem I am haveing is trying to install a new cooler because the old cooler is too big and prevents any power supply from going in. It was cheaper for me to buy the smaller cooler then to buy a new case.
    That does not make sense? What exactly are you trying to do?..............build a computer out of the bits of old ones?...............it sounds as if you are trying to fit AT form factor components into an ATX case?

UPDATE: Ok now i have removed the cooler from the cpu, and with the new cooler it came with some heatsink compound, so im guessing this is just as simple as putting the white stuff onto the cpu, there is a small blue square where the old heatsink was so im guessing that i cant put too much on?
    The "white stuff" is 20 times (2000%) less efficient than silver based compounds.

Apply a thin, even film to the base of the heatsink then a blob about half the size of a grain of rice to the "blue square" and spead it with a razor blade, thin plastic or stiff card.

YOU CAN PUT TOO MUCH ON

whats the worst that can happen with misplaced heat sink?
    Your CPU and MoBo get fried.................

Edit: I also noticed that the lock on both sides of the slot, will not lock onto the heatsink since it seems to be not as wide. But I dont think it would fall out.
    In which case it is not compatible. Part of the purpose of the retaining clips is to hold the heatsink in close contact with the CPU, so that heat transfer actually takes place.

Please be careful, computers have been known to cause serious domestic fires...........it is not only the lives of your CPU and MoBo that may be at risk.

What specification PII is it?, the capacity of the heatsink/fan combination is important. It may "talk the talk" but that does not mean that it can "walk the walk"..........I know of at least one member of this site (and many others outside) who have found this to their cost.

Good luck

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to nihil again.
    You just about covered this word for word how I would have said this. Except I wouldn't have used a British accent.

cntfind80,

Everyone has to learn sometime, and I commend you on your interest in hardware. You might try studying a few books on basic electronics and semi-conductors. Anyone who has been around these things as long as I have, knows that solid state devices are "smoke powered" if the smoke gets out of them they will never work again.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

That does not make sense? What exactly are you trying to do?...
    Ok, basicaly a computer was given to my brother, with the power supply removed from the case. The case is a form ATX, with an ATX board and such, but the powersply layout is above where the cpu is and since the cpu heatsink was big, it prevented any power supply from going back in. Thus I believe the people who gave it to him switched the case or switched the board. When I asked the store person about getting a new case with the powersupply in a difernt location, he sugested a cheaper option of buying a smaller heatsink.

Apply a thin, even film to the base of the heatsink then a blob about half the size of a grain of rice to the "blue square" and spead it with a razor blade, thin plastic or stiff card

YOU CAN PUT TOO MUCH ON
    Thanks, yesterday I found a site on heatsink compund that discribed this razorblade process after I put the heat sink on. I was able to use a latex glove and dab it on as one site recomended, it was this dabbing process that got to me when i dabed elsewhere.

How would I go abouts cleaning the misplaced heatsink off?

In which case it is not compatible. Part of the purpose of the retaining clips is to hold the heatsink in close contact with the CPU, so that heat transfer actually takes place.
    Thanks, I am gona phone the store today and tell him it was too small, this guy runs a small store and knows me so he might just give me an exchange.

What specification PII is it?
    I only know that it is a genuine intell pentium II, and it runs at 500MHz if my memory serves me correcly, it was last week when i turned it on, but with the powersuplly outside the case since it was imposible to put the powersully inside. I know its a slow computer but for my brother who has always wanted one and will only be playing simple games, it means the world.

Thanks for the advice aeallison, unfortunately I was never any good with the practicle hands on. In college I majored in EET, I got the theory great but when it came time for lab uh, I was just lost, not to mention my color blindess.

Slightly off topic, when I purchased the heatsink yesterday I also brought for myself a new case for my computer. I set it up last night the only thing is the length of the wire for the interlan speaker is not quite long enough to reach where it plugs in. The other stuff like the HDD Led and such reach ok. Would you recomend I just cut this wire, and extend it by soldering aditioanl wire on. Or might there be a simpler solution?

Originally posted here by nihil
    The "white stuff" is 20 times (2000%) less efficient than silver based compounds.
    arctic silver 5 is all I use.