Thread: what webpage design software do you guys recommend

what webpage design software do you guys recommend

hello everyone
    what web page design software do you guys recommend , im lost as i havent designed a web page since 1998 and i have some experince as i was doing it for living back then , my computer is as follow 2.8 ghrtz p4withht 1 gb of ram win xp pro sp2 1 gig ddr400 , only requirements i have is that it be within the 25-50 dollar range and that it be easy to use, ty when i get done with the webpage ill post link in here so yall can see my work

to save everyone else the trouble I'll do it

notepad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111oneoneoneoneoneoneoneone

but seriously for that price range u aint going to get much - I use dreamweaver MX 2004 (quite pricey) for main build and then tweak code by hand

v_Ln

Originally posted here by valhallen
    to save everyone else the trouble I'll do it

notepad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111oneoneoneoneoneoneoneone

but seriously for that price range u aint going to get much - I use dreamweaver MX 2004 (quite pricey) for main build and then tweak code by hand

v_Ln
    ty for your reply , im looking into a few in my price range ,i want dreamweaver but cant afford it

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    romanticcowboy, what kind of "web design" are you looking at? I'm a bit old fashioned since I still use HTML and PHP. As a result I still do things with vi or notepad, depending on the OS I'm working in. I also use a bit of Gimp (both Linux and Windows versions) since upgrades to my old Photoshop 2.5 on my Mac would cost me a near fortune. In linux I did find Quanta Plus to be a great and effective tool for PHP and other web languages. (not knowing if you have Linux or are comfortable with Linux to use it).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

came up with this when i did a quick search for open source wysiwg editors

http://www.nvu.com/

dunno if is any use as have never tried it but might be worth looking at

v_Ln

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    romanticcowboy, what kind of "web design" are you looking at? I'm a bit old fashioned since I still use HTML and PHP. As a result I still do things with vi or notepad, depending on the OS I'm working in. I also use a bit of Gimp (both Linux and Windows versions) since upgrades to my old Photoshop 2.5 on my Mac would cost me a near fortune. In linux I did find Quanta Plus to be a great and effective tool for PHP and other web languages. (not knowing if you have Linux or are comfortable with Linux to use it).
    i need osmething easy to use ,i dont remember anything about html that i learned as i havent done any web page design in 8 years for now ,i need something easy to use ,and that can help guide me thru the posscess as i build the page. p.s. thank you both of your for your response

Although you're looking for something quick and easy, I wouldn't depend solely on a WYSIWYG editor to give you what you need. I would take a quick refresher on HTML. WYSIWYG editors are great, but it's even better to understand what you're doing and why certain tags do what they do.

Here's a quick cheatsheet:
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...ml_cheatsheet/

Delving back into HTML
    http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey...g/html_basics/

I really like 1st Page 2000...it's a great and easy to use tool that can be customized based to your experience level. It supports more than HTML as well, so if you would like to build on different languages later, you will already have learned the program. Best of all it's free!

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml

For graphics on a budget and without the advanced experience, Paint Shop Pro will be more than enough for your design needs. I think the learning curve for PSP is a lot less steep in comparison to Photoshop. Output quality is just as good, just handled differently. I would try eBay or shopping around for it on the web. It's currently in version 9, but if you're willing to take version 8 you can get it for $30.00 in some places.
    There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.

An awesome deal here

If I didn't already have Dreamweaver, Flash and ColdFusion I would probably get these myself.

Don't delay this won't be happening forever.

And no this is not me promoting my own auction - so no flames please, I have nothing to do with it.

Enjoy

thank you

thank you everyone for all you help ,im gonna be studying html this week

An awesome free editor I used in school was HTML-Kit by Chami. Its WYIWYG and has tons of plug-ins.

My personal pref though is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004. If you want that you can look for it cheap by getting it OEM or if you're a student you can get the entire Macromedia Studio MX 2004 suite for $100.

If you want to develop in .NET you can get the free Visual Web Developer 2005 which is quite awesome. Basically it's Visual Studio mini. For application development you can also get the SQL Server Desktop Engine which lets you make SQL databases for local development.

A good place to learn HTML and such is http://www.w3schools.com

Good luck!
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15