Thread: Zone alarm

Zone alarm

Hi there
    I am using zone alarm, the standard one only firewall included. I use Nortons 2003. In my program settings in zone alarms to access the internet I set certain rograms such As IE and Teamspeak (talk while gaming) to allow access to the internet. But these programs don't function properly. My IE just shows an error page as though I am not connected to the internet and ymy Teamspeak doesnt connect. Also certain games wont refresh the server list. When I close ZL they all work properly however now i am vulnerable to hacker attempts and malicious virus etc entering my computer. Please someone with any knowledge on this reply and explain in detail what has to be done. BTW thank you Antionlone for the support online.

Tyron
    Tyron Rohland

Sounds like you need to go into programs on Zone Alarm and allow access to other services...you may have missed a needed service that is required for the others to run...but beyond that, I don't know which services they may be...you're going to have to wait for someone else to come along with their advice.

Eg ( I use Zone Alarm )

Good Evening,

Sounds like you need to go into programs on Zone Alarm and allow access to other services...you may have missed a needed service that is required for the others to run…
    Sounds like that’s could be the issue and just to elaborate in case you are not familiar with it,

Double click on the ZA Icon, click on Program Control, on the Main Tab, make sure Program Control is set to Medium and that Automatic Lock is “Off”. Then click on the Programs Tab and change anything that “Blocks” (has a Red X) to “Ask” (Blue Question Mark). (You do this by clicking on the existing permission and making a new selection.) That change will make Zone Alarm ask permission from you prior to allowing any program to “Access” or act as a “Server”

Start your game up and at the same time, ZA should ask you for permission. Allow it and you should be able to play your game. With all programs in the “Ask” permission mode, you’ll get tired of them always popping up. Now you can ID which ones control the game, which ones you want to allow, and also the ones you want to Block.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is, while in Program Control and in the Programs Tab, right click on all programs that have a “Red x” and then remove them from the list. Then start your game up. ZA will ask you if you want to allow and then make the your choice. Your game should work. ZA will also ask you for permission the next time any of the other programs you removed from the list tries to access. Set them according to your desires.

(For ZA version 5.5.062.000)

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

sounds like you blocked generic host process for win32, u need to grant this net access but deny it server access, it resolves dns
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

SP2 Firewall

I also recently installed SP2 and would like to know if Windows firewall will interfere with ZL? Is the windows firewall sufficient to sustain hacker attempts etc.
    Tyron Rohland

I would recommend that you turn off the Windows firewall. It is not a good idea to run two interactive software security products that are trying to do the same thing.

Windows Firewall Auto-disabled by ZA

Further to this, Zone Alarm detects if you have Win XP SP2 installed (together with the built-in Windows Firewall) and has the option to disable/enable Windows Firewall (default is disabled) specifically in version ZA v.5.5.062.011.

To check this, go to Zone Alarm Firewall Main tab, advanced, check the box disable Windows firewall.

FYI

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Thanks for all the help guys...
    Tyron Rohland