Thread: Static IP addresses

Smile Static IP addresses

I've heard that it's better to have a static IP address if you're on a home network.

Is this true?

And how do I set up my network for static IP addresses?

Thanks!!!!

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    if you are on a SOHO, then you WILL need to provide the network with 'private' static IP addresses.
    you will have to nominate one box for your DHCP duties.

You need to give a LOT more detail ..............

Size of network ?
    Budget ?
    WiFi or wired ?
    OS's ? [all the same or mixed, it doesn't matter, we still need to know what]
    Your level of expertise ?
    peer to peer / server client ?

any other details you feel might help, all are appreciated.

And welcome to AO.

[drunken ramble]
    It's my B'day [yesterday now]
    and I'm on the Guinness
    hence no more drivel from me

cheers
    Pax
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    if you are on a SOHO, then you WILL need to provide the network with 'private' static IP addresses.
    you will have to nominate one box for your DHCP duties.

You need to give a LOT more detail ..............

Size of network ?
    Budget ?
    WiFi or wired ?
    OS's ? [all the same or mixed, it doesn't matter, we still need to know what]
    Your level of expertise ?
    peer to peer / server client ?

any other details you feel might help, all are appreciated.

And welcome to AO.

[drunken ramble]
    It's my B'day [yesterday now]
    and I'm on the Guinness
    hence no more drivel from me

cheers
    Pax
    Happy belated B-day!

OK, I'll do my best

Router PC = Win XP Pro
    Wireless PC = Win XP Home
    Home network
    Wireless
    Budget? Don't understand
    SOHO? Don't understand
    Novice to intermediate

probably the easiest thing to do in your case would be to spend the $30 and just get yourself a decent 802.11b router. Sure your out the $30, but it'll save you alot of time. If you have 802.11g wireless cards, you could get a 802.11g router which will be a little pricier, but i wouldn't spring for it unless your transfering large files or large amounts of files, or if your streaming video somewhere. If its just for net access, i doubt you have over 11mb/s for your connection so the cheaper B standard will work just fine. Just make sure when you pop your new router in, you change the default password, activate wep, and make sure you specify your MAC addresses for your wireless cards are the only ones allowed to connect. If you designate your WinXP pro box as a DHCP server, you'll be opening up another avenue for attack with your system, which i'm not sure about attacking that, but i know the less services you run on a machine, the less holes or open doors for an attacker to go thru. So i'd say save the time, and spend the $30 for a router. I know tigerdirect usually has $30 dlink routers that are recertified, i bought one and i haven't had any trouble with it. although the DHCP page on it won't ever load...lol. which is what your looking for. so maybe you should steer clear of the Dlink 514 (i think thats the model number). hope this helps. and if you decide to go thru with the XP box DHCP server, just do a google search for a tutorial and i'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Yeah I would recommend to spend a small amount of money <$60 on a router and just put your PC's on the router. From there you can give whichever computer you want a Static IP. The only real benefit to a static IP is if your computer is acting as a server. Other than that theres no real benefit to it.
    =

Thanks for all your replies. Keep 'em coming!

Do I assign the actual static IP (typing in the #'s) and how do I decide what numbers to use?

Or does it assign numbers automatically?

I'm set up right now for "Automatic Configuration" I want to go to the "Static IP" section but I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!